Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rustoleum for spot repairs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chris914n6
In a perfect world I'd gut the car, fix all the rusty places, epoxy primer and quality paint the whole thing.

In reality, it's been a long time and I want to drive.

I've had good results with Rustoleum Pro for painting truck frames, brackets and such on daily drivers. Any possible drawbacks with spot repairs, with the intention of sanding/blasting and painting the whole chassis in the distant future? Main concerns being new rust and incompatibility with real auto paint.
malcolm2
Driving is great.... Once you start driving, you will not want to break it down and do all those things you know need to be done.... But your in Vegas, how much rust could happen in Vegas? confused24.gif confused24.gif

Your call. I like driving too. driving-girl.gif
r_towle
It will never be compatible with two part automotive paint, it will peal off as you spray on the paint later on.

That being said, paint it and drive it..
When you are ready, strip off what needs to be done and prep the rest of the paint, the do the whole car or panel.

Rich
rick 918-S
Spot it in for now, Drive it like you stole it and just keep in mind you will need to strip the spot repairs before trying to re-top coat. Exact reason I will not paint over the top of any re-paint I didn't do. Like a cracker jack box. Only the surprise will not make you smile.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ May 1 2016, 06:43 PM) *

But your in Vegas, how much rust could happen in Vegas? confused24.gif confused24.gif

Came from Socal. Original paint, has plenty of scratches just about everywhere. Rear trunk is a holey mess. Inside under the rear window and pedals. Battery tray. Also the primer spots where I made the V6 fit smash.gif and the chipped paint from fender rolling.

I skipped Rainy66 because there is just too much bare metal. Looks like the new plan is clean, ospho, rattle-can, driving.gif biggrin.gif

Thanks all!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.