Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need help with a dicky flasher...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ntmatter
As the title says, my flasher (turn signal relay) is dicky (acting weirdly). It constantly ticks, quietly, and generally (but not always) slower than when the turn signals are on. Turn signals and hazards both work, and when they are active the relay makes a strong ticking noise. At all other times, the relay ticks slowly (usually) and quietly. Sometimes the noise goes away for no reason I can figure, then comes back on its own. Not sure if it matters, but the green turn signal light is always on in the instrument panel as well.

Has anyone experience with something like this? So far I've been treating it as a Type 1 Noise (the kind you fix by turning up the radio) but am concerned that it could become a Type 2 Noise (the kind that make your car stop). Any pointers are appreciated - would like to affirmatively troubleshoot before I run out and buy a replacement relay on spec.

Thanks,

A
PancakePorsche
The constant turn indicator light is substantial clue. Have tried swapping out the flasher relay yet ? It is common to turn signals, emergency flasher, and handbrake warning flasher. Could also be in turn signal column switch. unplug it and see what happens.
WPEngels
I don't know about the green indicator light but I had the same ticking of the relay. Eventually traced it to water in the boot on the switch on the master brake cylinder. The water more or less closed the connector to ground.

I could easily check it by pulling the cable from the switch.
ntmatter
The boot switch is an interesting idea - it was disconnected when I got the car and plugging it in would be a change from the pre-restoration state (when it didn't make the noise). I unplugged the flasher relay (the big square one in the middle of the under-dash fuse board) and the noise stopped (duh) - if there's a spare on the car I could try swapping it in?
Intubator
Tell him to stop doing it or you'll call the cops! Damn dicky flashers...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.