Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flywheel Size/Weight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
paintracer1
Any input on what size flywheel to get from KEP? 2.8 engine 250+ hp . What are all you using in your street cars? 215 or 228 iron or aluminum face? Any and all advice on this decision would be appreciated. Thanks
QUOTE(paintracer1 @ May 2 2016, 11:12 AM) *

Any input on what size flywheel to get from KEP? 2.8 engine 250+ hp . What are all you using in your street cars? 215 or 228 iron or aluminum face? Any and all advice on this decision would be appreciated. Thanks

For this type of questions, you will get more advice on Pelican Parts Technical BBS than here. Especially if the 2.8 is a six cylinder.
Or simply call Kennedy for advice.
Good luck...2.8 with short gears? Oh, I just noticed the question on the 215mm or... with that kind of hp, I would upgraded to a 225 alu set up. You want to spin that motor vs lugging the iron around.
brant
it also depends on the use of the car, and willingness to put up with things by the owner

I run a 5.5inch twin plate race clutch from tilton on an aluminum window'd flywheel

boy it spins real nice
but you would NOT want to drive it on the street
its an on/off switch

the clamping force of the pressure plate determines that you have enough force not to slip

the flywheel weight and diameter gives you the tractability/torque (flywheel effect) for driving on the street comfortably below 5,000rpm but is a trade off to rotational weight and how fast the motor spins up

you can run a 4.5inch clutch and have enough clamping force easily for any motor (just add plates).... but doesn't mean it will be fun to drive on the street

my 1st gear is an "F" ratio
so I have to rev my car up and dump the clutch ala F1.... just to roll out of the pits
Brant's advice is pretty detailed. Spot on as some would say. If you search some of his posting you will be surprised.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.