Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacement Speakers - 1974
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orbit398
Does anyone have any suggestions for replacement speakers for a 1974 model original location. I purchased some from Crutchfield (MTX Audio Coaxial Thunder 68) but they don't fit. thanks
malcolm2
QUOTE(orbit398 @ May 2 2016, 09:04 PM) *

Does anyone have any suggestions for replacement speakers for a 1974 model original location. I purchased some from Crutchfield (MTX Audio Coaxial Thunder 68) but they don't fit. thanks

Speaker pods from 914 rubber work great. You can cut them to fit many different speakers. They look close enough to OEM and take a round speaker, maybe a 7". just remember to order the speaker grills when you order speakers and use them vs. the brittle OEM. The OEM pods are designed for some funky size 5x7 iirc. no such hole pattern in this century either.

http://shop.914rubber.com/Porsche-914-door...m?categoryId=-1
porschetub
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ May 3 2016, 02:29 PM) *

QUOTE(orbit398 @ May 2 2016, 09:04 PM) *

Speaker pods from 914 rubber work great. You can cut them to fit many different speakers. They look close enough to OEM and take a round speaker, maybe a 7". just remember to order the speaker grills when you order speakers and use them vs. the brittle OEM. The OEM pods are designed for some funky size 5x7 iirc. no such hole pattern in this century either.

http://shop.914rubber.com/Porsche-914-door...m?categoryId=-1

OP asked about original location,tricky cause they aren't 5 x 7,been there done all that and got frustrated and at a cost,modern speakers don't fit because the magnets are generally too large and won't clear the heater tube hoses.
Not a lot of choices for fit in the original enclosures if you want a reasonable sound.

orbit398
Found some direct replacements at Auto Atlanta
RGS246 914 200 WATT, 2-WAY 4X6 STEREO SPEAKERS, PAIR $39.50
napasteve
I would be interested to know if the AA speakers actually fit in the original holders. Assuming they do fit, I'd be interested to know if there is anywhere else besides AA that they could be purchased.
malcolm2
QUOTE(porschetub @ May 3 2016, 03:00 AM) *

Speaker pods from 914 rubber work great.

OP asked about original location,

So where do you think the 914rubber pods go? They replace the brittle, funky shaped Factory enclosures.

Click to view attachment

or do you think the speakers originally came in the door?

rjames
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ May 3 2016, 08:41 AM) *

So where do you think the 914rubber pods go? They replace the brittle, funky shaped Factory enclosures.

Click to view attachment

I think he meant speakers in the original location- as in the original plastic pods/covers, not in an aftermarket pod.
23e Heure
QUOTE(napasteve @ May 3 2016, 04:14 PM) *

I would be interested to know if the AA speakers actually fit in the original holders. Assuming they do fit, I'd be interested to know if there is anywhere else besides AA that they could be purchased.

Ditto that, on both counts
orbit398
QUOTE(napasteve @ May 3 2016, 10:14 AM) *

Hope they fit perfect. They don't cost much either. Not interested in big sound as I have the original radio. Just wanted it stock so I am sure these will work fine.
jeffdon
I have been thinking that there are a ton of little speakers that put out great sound (think Blue tooth boomboxes). Seems like it would be easy to find some really good little drivers and adapt them to the factory pods. With maybe a base unit under the dash?
napasteve
I looked at the AA item and did a bit of googling and it turns out that AA is selling the Sound Storm Laboratories GS246 Gs Series 4X6" 2-Way Speaker 200W. It's available on eBay and Amazon.

I still wonder if it will fit in the factory pods.

Orbit398, if you do get them, please let the community know if they fit. Thanks.
porschetub
QUOTE(rjames @ May 4 2016, 04:13 AM) *

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ May 3 2016, 08:41 AM) *

Click to view attachment

I think he meant speakers in the original location- as in the original plastic pods/covers, not in an aftermarket pod.

Exactly,thank you.

I have AP f/glass ones and 6.5'' blaupunkts,don't think it would be too easy to get a 7'' in them,depends how much larger the housing is than the cone,some makes can vary in that size.

Good luck on the AA ones....200watt and $39.50 dry.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(orbit398 @ May 3 2016, 06:02 AM) *

Found some direct replacements at Auto Atlanta
RGS246 914 200 WATT, 2-WAY 4X6 STEREO SPEAKERS, PAIR $39.50

That same speaker set (Sound Storm Laboratories GS246) is $17 on e-bay.

Creamsicle New Zealand
I purchased a pair of factory replacement speakers from AA. Part # B914464550310P.
Had to grind small piece of each corner off then they where a perfect fit for the original speaker covers. They have a very small magnet which keeps the depth to a minimum. look great, look original. Not bad sound. Cost was $88.50
ripper911
QUOTE(napasteve @ May 3 2016, 03:26 PM) *

I looked at the AA item and did a bit of googling and it turns out that AA is selling the Sound Storm Laboratories GS246 Gs Series 4X6" 2-Way Speaker 200W. It's available on eBay and Amazon.

I still wonder if it will fit in the factory pods.

Orbit398, if you do get them, please let the community know if they fit. Thanks.

I have them in my car. They fit, but you have to install them at an angle.
Mikey914
DXI's aren't supre cheap but work well in this application with our fiberglass pods.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DXI651S/Po...io-DXi651s.html
rfinegan
What speakers do you have in the PIC?

Click to view attachment

iankarr
QUOTE(napasteve @ May 3 2016, 11:14 AM) *

I bought the same ones AA shows on Amazon. Link below. Make sure you order the 4 x 6 ones. Fit perfectly. They install at a 20 degree or so angle and fit two screw holes...enough to secure them to the original grilles.

http://www.amazon.com/GS246-200-watt-auto-...i_detailpages00
iankarr
Here are some pics of those speakers

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.