Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intermittent wiper relay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Yoei66
After reading the 03/28 message thread on windshield wipers, and that intermittent wipers could be added I then
came across the instructions for the install on doing this, in the classic message section. I’ve snapped out the plastic
piece on my wiper switch, so I can now put the wiper switch in the down position, and located the brown/black
control wire near the wiper motor. Now I need the relay & optional control harness. I’ll likely have to wire my own
control harness and socket, but the relay is the big-e for this project to be a success. The relay number is 477 955
531. Anyone have a spare parts car, or know where this relay is available?

Pic from install instructions....
SirAndy
QUOTE (Yoei66 @ Apr 1 2005, 12:08 PM)
Anyone have a spare parts car, or know where this relay is available?

there is a replacement for this from VW/Porsche ...

i forget which one is which, but if you go to your local VW/Porsche shop, they'll be able to look it up for you ...
cool.gif Andy

PS: in fact, if i recall correct, you can still buy the harness from VW/Porsche as well !
Yoei66
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Andy. Do you know if i need to do anything with the wiring inside the steering colomb with the wiper switch, or is the brown/black wire already hooked up in there.
914werke
After all that is accomplished how do you adjust the frequency of ..intermitancey wacko.gif
fiid
It ought to be pretty easy to build a circuit to replace the relay and also to provide variable speed intermittent. I suppose I'll have to spend some time studying the damned wiring diagrams to work out how to do that....

Fiid.
nickg
just buy a relay or get a used one from any golf or jetta 3(93-95) and use that one. they had programable relays from vw ......what is the harness part #?
to programm the interval, first click the switch on, the off again after 1 sweep of the wipers. the wait the deired time (3-30 seconds) and click them on again...presto programmed interval...simple
partsman
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there are only TWO sets of the factory wiring adaptors left. I will order them for any all (actually, the first two to respond)

Eric..
davep
What price? email sent.
914werke
Im down Email sent. cool.gif
markb
QUOTE (partsman @ Apr 1 2005, 01:55 PM)
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there are only TWO sets of the factory wiring adaptors left. I will order them for any all (actually, the first two to respond)

Eric..

Is this harness something someone could build if they had a diagram?
Qarl
I just bought a NOS one off e-bay with the harness for $35.00

was that good buy?

confused24.gif
davep
Probably a good buy at that price. Like getting the harness for free. The wires are not much to make up, however the socket is not something common.
jim_hoyland
Found an excellent reference@:

http://www.iq.dynip.com/~gary/hacks/interm...termittent.html

JeffBowlsby

Actually it is...I reverse engineered it and have it documented for production. The relay socket is still available too.

914werke
But not yet...IN.. production?
JeffBowlsby
Not yet..but they could be in a heartbeat. When I discoveered they were still available from Porsche, I put the project on the back-burner. Maybe it will soon be time to fire it up again... cool.gif
double-a
i'm in for one jeff, whenever you start making them.

~a
ThinAir
I'm interested too, but I'd want to confirm that it would work in a car that never had the hookup at all. I've got a 73, but apparently it is early enough that the connections are not present for connecting the factory wiring assembly. Same goes for the '72 that is holding jack stands and waiting for the restoration to restart.
914werke
I still dont understand how they originally worked wacko.gif
Was it a fixed wipe cycle? Or was there a POT adjuster ?
If the later where was it mounted?
Yoei66
Acording to my owners manual the factory option was fixed at 10 seconds per sweep, no adjustment.

Over the weekend I came across a aftermarket delay wipe in JC-Wit for $15. I may order one of these, and mount it in the location where the VW relay is normally mounted. Still need to get one to figure out how the wiring will be done. Looks like it has an adjustable delay time, but I don't think I want that cheesy thing mounted on my 914 dash.
markb
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Apr 4 2005, 06:17 PM)

Actually it is...I reverse engineered it and have it documented for production. The relay socket is still available too.

OK, the wiring, relay, and the socket are still available, right? Could a speed adjustment knob from an SC be made to work in this kinda system?
william harris
If anybody can do it, Jeff can. Go, Jeff, Go!! smilie_pokal.gif
fiid
I ordered a programmable relay from:

http://catalog.eautopartscatalog.com/isame...0Z064O1HM0Z064N

last night. Thats what came up when I googled it.

brownaar
Intermittent wipers? Don't you know you're not supposed to drive a 914 in the rain?

chairfall.gif

Aaron
Yoei66
You don't live in the Northwest. It kinda rains here.....A lot.

If we waited for dry weather the 914 season wound be about two months long.
bd1308
anybody have a map of the wiring for one of these?
Yoei66
Wiring instructions are in the clasic message thread section titled Wiper Relay Instructions
Qarl
I have a NOS relay and harness. I can photograph it for you tonight if you want.

Just say the magic word!

Root_Werks
I added int wipers to a 914 a few years back, just used the relay from a 944, same thing. The wiring was pretty striaght forward from a haynes manual. wink.gif
bd1308
please Qarl? biggrin.gif
jim_hoyland
WHAT IS THE SOCKET PART NUMBER ?

THE RELAY IS EASY TO FIND; PICKED ONE UP AT VW PLACE FOR $16.00

IS THERE A SIMPLE SCHEMATIC FOR MAKING THE HARNESS ?
Qarl
Here is an update to those that said please...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=2&t=28754

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.