Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Replacement Windows
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cracker
Well guys...I couldn't think of a better group (cheap bastards) to ask about your replacement window experiences. Its going to hurt...I've got 35 freakin windows on my house.

I know I want a vinyl window but which brand and model type is now the question. What did you choose and have you been happy with them?

This year will SUCK for home repairs but its got to be done.

Tony
r_towle
I did all mine from homedepot because as a CSOB I chose the cheapest window (all vinyl) that would wk for me, and I bought a couple per month and installed them over the course of a year....
I then had the place sided by a pro because it's 45 feet tall and I was not in shape to do that.

Harvey industries is a company up here that builds them custom for you, and installs them...but they are pricey.
mepstein
I bought Anderson Windows for my house. They were all stock sizes and nothing fancy so it wasn't to bad a hit. I hate cheap Windows.
Garland
Anderson
Did hafe 1st year, 2nd hafe following year. Went with buy 6, 7th free. Or something like that. Great Windows, my biggest concern is that the new window gives me the same view space. So when measuring be sure they are fitting the window to the stud, not the casing of the old window, then shimmed to fit.
Cairo94507
In the last 2 years I replaced all of my windows with top of the line Andersen windows. They make a terrific window. We did all new construction windows and they came out great. One thing you do not want to cut corners on is windows. Also, Garland is right. I too was not willing to give up any glass/viewing space. So some windows remained the same viewing dimension but a lot of them were enlarged. I had someone here from Colorado a while ago and they said they had never seen homes with such big windows as we were driving in the neighborhood.

We have some big picture windows in our home, one right in front of the kitchen sink that is 4x8 and the view into my backyard is stunning. If I have to do dishes, and I do, that is the way to do them.

Good luck with your project.
Cracker
Great...thanks guys! I am not doing the "insert" method - we are replacing the entire frame and sash too. We have a nice view onto the golf course and a friend was recommending we NOT have mullions installed in the windows. Have any of you gone
mullion-less and like it?

Tony
rhodyguy
Are there HOA restrictions for window appearance? Get the highest efficiency windows you can afford. 35 windows? Ouch. 12 in our house was bad enough
Porschef
Installed and trimmed the last of 9 Andersen 400 series windows in my home last Saturday, replacing the original 60 year old Andersens that were pretty shot. The other windows not replaced are the same brand but are the Narrowline variety. They're double glazed and work fine. I've also installed Pella, Marvin, some high end small market windows, and a few from a now defunct Canadian company called Bonneville. To me, it's tough to beat Andersen for the value.

Kevin is right, some Homeowner Association regs require at least snap in grilles to meet their "code". You'll have to check into that.
rhodyguy
We went with slip in replacement windows made by 'Comfort Design Windows and Doors'. Many interesting features and very efficient. Local company. We paid to have them installed. We have rather large windows.

The old windows were the 60's era aluminum frame single pane with sliding storms. The installers removed the glass and used a nifty tool that pulled the aluminum frames out without damaging the outside or inside of the window openings, so no trimming out was nessasary inside or out. Done, ALL DONE, in 1 day.
gandalf_025
OK, just my 2 cents worth.
If you plan on keeping the house....
Buy the best windows you can.. If installing them yourself, do
a few at a time.. Otherwise buy from a place that has been around for a while.
A lot of replacement window places offer serious warranties.
Question will be IF they are still around when you have an issue in 10 years.

I bought Anderson windows for most of mine..
I also went with crank out casement windows due to high wind concerns here..
I do have 2 double hung windows in the house for possible A/C units to go in..
I bought Pella windows for those and the Slider..

Good windows really do tighten up a house...
How good they seal over time is the issue.

rhodyguy
If custom sizes you'll probably be on the hook if the window fitment is incorrect unless you have a pro measure the holes. Get some bids.
Cracker
Thanks guys...great insight and info. Yes. I live in one of the dreaded HOA communities. My challenge is I don't see us here forever - our daughter is 13 and after she leaves the next, we'll most likely leave the house. Too big for the two of us and not set up properly for my "car" hobby (HOA again!).

Also, I was only looking at going without the mullions on the rear of the home - not the front. I've had a few testy run-ins with the HOA - they leave me alone and I do my best to not piss on their rules too much. We coexist.

T
Mikey914
I did mine myself.
The easiest is the one that sits in the existing frame, however you loose "daylight" size of the window.
Option 2 (the one I did) required you to set the depth of a skill saw for a little over depth of the siding, and cut out around the window. This allows you to get to the nail flange of the window.

You can then nail a new window in and add brickmold around the outside. I added flashing at the top also.

Fortunately I have a buddy that does these that showed me how to do it. I would recommend this method.
SA-914
I'm cheap....but...

I ended up buy decent low end vinyl windows from lowes.

Lifetime on glass breakage and screens, no questions asked, and I know they will be around forever...

Shocked at how quickly they ripped out the old ones and installed the new ones.

I could not have done is myself cheaper...

rhodyguy
While you may not collect the max ROI when it's time to sell, if it's your house or one without window upgrades, I know which one I would pick. 'Better' windows start paying for themselves from day 1. Energy, comfort, noise. A portion of the $ may qualify for a tax credit. I know the sales tax is deductible. Every little bit helps.
Mikey914
You may need to get an energy audit before you start to validate your request for rebate, I didn't do this and lost out
saigon71
I go with mid-grade vinyl replacement "slip in" windows from Home Depot...replacing them one at a time when the bottom falls out of them. I'm very happy with the fit, quality and energy savings.

I know Anderson is a top shelf manufacturer, but it may be worth shopping around...especially if you may move in a few years.
stinkindiesel
I replaced 6 windows in a garage apartment a couple of years ago with the standard Home Depot stuff. Had a big gift card I needed to spend. After only two years, my renter has already complained about 2 broken locks, and one window that's got condensation between the panes.

For the labor involved, don't cheap out on the materials. Buy good stuff, do it once!

Gary
jtprettyman
I owned a new-home construction company for a number of years (thanks, recession...). I used to use all Simonton windows for the quality and price until I was convinced by my material supplier Pro Build to try the Anderson "Silverline" series. Same Anderson quality and looks at a better price. Had one warranty experience where a return spring broke, Silverline replaced the entire window unit and paid for my time and labor for the replacement. Can't beat that coverage, I used nobody else after.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.