Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thoughts on this '73 1.7?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
2mAn
http://www.pristineautosusa.com/detail-197...d-13482394.html

Ive really been itching lately to find a nice clean 914 in Blue. There are so many lovely colors for the teeners but Ive never owned a blue car and I want my next car to be blue. Stupid? Yea probably, but anyways, the searching lead me to this one. Looks fairly clean but the picture of the hell hole is blurry and thats the ONE picture I want to be crystal clear.

So what do you guys think? They have another one too that doesnt look bad either, but something about this one speaks to me
r_towle
1) looks pretty clean, so it may be the right asking price...
2) get a PPI, so you can verify the condition in person.
3) who is your avatar photo?
2mAn
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 4 2016, 04:49 PM) *

1) looks pretty clean, so it may be the right asking price...
2) get a PPI, so you can verify the condition in person.
3) who is your avatar photo?

thanks, its fairly local so I could go see it in person. not sure where to take it for a PPI down here in SoCal.

the avatar pic is from a fun night back at fresno state ~15 years ago. gotta love foreign exchange students drunk.gif
r_towle
If you are serious, I would call and ask them if they would agree to remove the rocker covers, that will be a big help to determine the condition.

Many places won't do that, so don't be put off if they won't, it's not a simple thing to do for a dealership.

Ask around, with specific location....lots of go here know,the shops and there must be dozens of Porsche shops in your area.
Rich
turk22
I'm going with Hidden Gem, there is a lot good with the car, and definitely some area's where you can spruce it up even more. I gotta say, if you trust that the latest paint job dealt with the rust issues properly, I'd say the price is probably accurate.

beerchug.gif
914Sixer
Looks like it is over priced by $8-10K.
JOEPROPER
I've seen that car advertised in other places and it caught my eye too. If you're in the area, go take a look. I also believe that it may be priced too high, but as we all know the value is based on what the market will bare. And the market obviously is rising by the moment. The advertiser is a dealer... and that means the price includes some room for them.
76-914
If it has nice longs and Hell Hole area me thinks there would be several pics. That is a big selling point for 914's, after all. shades.gif Those trailing arms as well as a lot of the bottom appear to have been touched up. One of the pics from below showing the R arm has a rusty area above it. idea.gif Some areas are too black for an old car. The car has a nice appearance but Caveat Emptor, Senior.
somd914
I always get concerned about recent shotty spray paint work on underside components, and then the engine bay is obviously neglected to some degree.

To me it's overpriced, but it also appears that it might be a solid car worth buying a lower price.

I'd say give it a look and go from there.

Gearhead1432
Over priced to me.

The hell hole doesn't look promising let alone the over all condition of the engine compartment with all sorts of missing bits.

No more than $10,000 would probably be fair offer after looking at NADA's current values.

-Rob
boxsterfan
8,000,000 pics but no money shots. That tells me everything I need to know about the asking price. You should go have a look, inspect it thoroughly and bring cash if you like it. Cash offers are king.
Gunn1
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ May 4 2016, 11:41 PM) *

8,000,000 pics but no money shots. That tells me everything I need to know about the asking price. You should go have a look, inspect it thoroughly and bring cash if you like it. Cash offers are king.

What do you mean by "money shots"?
mgp4591
QUOTE(OU812 @ May 5 2016, 01:45 AM) *

QUOTE(boxsterfan @ May 4 2016, 11:41 PM) *

What do you mean by "money shots"?

You need pictures of the hell hole area, preferably with the battery removed with some up close detail. Also removing the rocker panels expose the jack plates and other supporting metal as well as the longs for any rust coming through. For that kind of cash you don't want to be replacing those areas - way too much work and money. The claim of "rust free" is a relative statement as very few of these cars ever left the factory without rust! Okay, a slight exaggeration but you get the idea.... shades.gif
DaveO90s4
Hidden gem. But being so new to 914's I'm only talking about the avatar

Dave
EdwardBlume
You're definitely in the dealer premium on this one. Not sure of the prior history. If you have the extra $7K-$9K to burn, go for it! Would it bring you joy?
rhodyguy
A few nit noid items are missing that I can see at a glance. No big deal, but could be an indicator of real overall condition and should be on the car @ $18k. You need a skilled eye to do a PPI or roll the dice.
gereed75
Agree with the general vein of the comments. This appears to be an almost premium car at a premium price point. Must have been repainted because because these early metallics had clear coat issues and did not last long.

There is a hell hole shot and some rust is evident

Also very curious that they went to all the trouble to gussy up the bottom but did not do some simple engine compartment maintenance - blower hose, relay board cover etc

No mileage mentioned or did I miss it??

I like $13,000.00 tops assuming confirmation of "rust free".

Great color by the way that looks great with targa trim and chrome bumpers. Even better sig photo
rhodyguy
Rain tray drain tube and funnel. At least 1 side. Consider the recent posting of the new car and the fire on the drive home after buying.
2mAn
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 5 2016, 07:24 AM) *

Rain tray drain tube and funnel. At least 1 side. Consider the recent posting of the new car and the fire on the drive home after buying.

the most recent issue with the car sold by the "Compton Killer" (I just dubbed him that) is the one that scares me about these cars that places are flipping. If you look at the inventory, they have two others. One is in "restoration phase" and the other look like its clean and probably recently restored. I think I saw it advertised for ~$14.9k where I originally saw it and went to their site

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.