Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help, Please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Beebo Kanelle
Gents,

My car (2.0) currently has SS exchangers into a Bursch exhaust.

The muffler's internal baffles have come loose, creating an awful exhaust note, not to mention the horrific rattle.

I am going to replace it with a header system.

I'd like it to be of SS construction and able to be quiet -

What is the groups' opinion? Which is the one to get? What diameter collectors?

I notice that most seem to be 4 to 1 design and other 2 to 1 / 2 to 1.

What are the guidelines / considerations?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
Chris Pincetich
Have you ever noticed how large the OEM muffler is? Just about everything else is louder. Headers with a good, modern muffler can be fine, and "maybe" quieter than what you had. I have the Euro-Race style 4->1 header into an elongated oval, Flowmaster style, muffler with a single outlet in the stock position. The header tubes slip fit into the collector, and that may make it louder than one that is all welded and sealed better. I highly recommend paying the $$ to get a new header ceramic coated. I've had mine along the coast in CA for almost 8 years and it still looks great. Otherwise, the metal rusts quick. If you can afford it, the Tangerine Racing header is the best beerchug.gif
r_towle
See, Chris Foley at Tangerine Racing...header and muffler in stainless.
rhodyguy
A dif muffler can be fitted to the bursch piping for not a lot of money.
Beebo Kanelle
Thanks to all,

Got a $21.00 muffler on the Bursch for the interim and ordered a header system from Chris

Thanks again to all
Perry Kiehl Clone
Stock muffler. The stock style muffler is hard to beat as far as performance. You can get more noise that will make you think you are getting more power, if that's what you like though. Not to bag on CFR's quality work, but IMHO his muffler needs a little more tweaking, the one I had seen on a car here seemed to have a lot of resonance, and the 2250 engine back fired more with it.

I'd love to see a dyno comparison of a handful of popular 914-4 exhaust with a stock engine and heat exchangers. My bet is the stock muffler will have the best across the board performance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.