Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to adapt a tail shift trans into a side shift trans?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Korijo914
Ok, I know there will be haters "Don't Do That" or "Why Would You Go Backwards"?

Anyways, I have already bought a 5-speed tail shift trans. So I need to know what are all the parts I will need to hook up the tail shift trans into my '73 side shift trans car?

Any info will help.

Thanks,
korijo
TheCabinetmaker
Can't answer your question, but nice to hear from you.
mepstein
Let's not say haters. But to do it "right" you will need to weld in a part of the lower rear firewall from an early car to duplicate the tailshift linkage mounting point or at least modify that section to accept the screw in studs. Not a super big deal but an odd thing to do and it will reduce the shifting precision. I could see it done to replicate a 914-6 but can't think of any good reason to do it to a 4.

Sort of like getting a sex change because you bought the wrong underwear. But I'm not a hater. biggrin.gif
mepstein
What is the status of your car.
Do you have an old side shifter.
Do you have the old side shifter linkage.
If you have all the old side shifter parts and a rebuilt tail shifter trans, you could easily convert it to a good working side shifter trans.
Give us the whole picture and we will help.
No hating. Can't help if a little sarcasm gets loose.
rhodyguy
You'll need to retro fit the engine mount bar and all that goes with that as well. Haters? How so?
rick 918-S
As others have stated. You will need all the linkage, the engine mount bar from the early car and the hardest part will be adding the threaded nut at the firewall for the ball swivel. That will need to be welded to the lower bulkhead in the exact position so the linkage lines up properly and doesn't either bind from being too close or fall apart from being spaced too far apart. If I had a spare side shift transaxle I would just send it to you but I'm short one myself. Nice to see you post. smilie_rolli_1.gif assimilate.gif
Cairo94507
I have to admit, this is a different modification. I would bet if you put a Want to Trade notice in the Classifieds, saying you have a complete side-shifter setup and want to swap for a complete tail-shifter setup, you will get a reply. Probably a few as mist want to get rid of the imprecise shifting of the tail-shifter for the more precise side-shifter. Good luck and post pictures to help. welcome.png
bdstone914
And you need the early shifter, firewall bushing, engine mount to bar bracket. engine mounts at the end of the bar in addition to all of the other parts. Think about the wisdom of this decision. Do you plan to keep the car forever? This will make the far very undesirable to any knowledgeable buyer.
I have most if not all of the parts to do you backwards conversion. Convert the tail shift trans to a side shift and do it right. My $.02.
No hate. trying to help you make a good decision.
rhodyguy
Bruce is spot on. I would NOT buy a car that had the trans backdated. Ever. It'll cost a fortune to pay a shop to do the work and x2 to 'fix' the swap in the future. This one falls in to the 'bad idea' category for me Dave.
jeffdon
I just rehabbed a side shifter, replacing all bushings. I own a 72 tail shifter. After driving the side shifter, I am considering changing mine to a side shifter someday.

The side shifter is sooooo damned smooth compared to my car.
ClayPerrine
Unless your car is a perfect 72 or older 1000 point concours car, I would update the shift linkage to the side shifter parts. Other than three shift rods and the side shift console, the rest of the transmission is the same between the side shifter and the tail shifter. Get Dr. Evil's video, and follow it to move the side shift parts from your old transmission to the new one.

You will enjoy the car more if the shifting doesn't feel like a stick in a box of rocks.
SirAndy
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 5 2016, 05:47 AM) *
Nice to see you post. smilie_rolli_1.gif

agree.gif beerchug.gif
stugray
Instead of converting a sideshift car to a tail shift car, why don't you convert the tailshift trans to a sideshift trans?

That is actually probably LESS work than converting the car.

AND if you have a sideshift trans already, you have all the parts.
rhodyguy
For those that are unaware, Dave has Lou Gherig's disease. He can't do any of the work himself.

Dave, is this project for the blue chassis?
mepstein
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 5 2016, 01:34 PM) *

For those that are unaware, Dave has Lou Gherig's disease. He can't do any of the work himself.

Even more reason to keep it stock side shift so more people can pitch in and help out. Back dating will be a difficult mod compared to keeping it stock. I do have some side shifter trannys with bad internals so I'm happy to donate parts to Dave if that's the direction he wants to go. All free including shipping. I'm sure I can scrounge up some other parts if that helps the cause.
Cairo94507
Very very nice offer Mark. beerchug.gif
PanelBilly
If you'd rather do it from the rear, makes no difference to me. I'm just here to say hello to a first post.
Korijo914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 5 2016, 12:34 PM) *

Yup, it is for the blue car. Which has a perfectly good working 4 - speed side shift trans. But, I am trying to put a "5-speed" tail shift into my '73 side shift "4-speed". I am just trying to get 5-speeds.
Korijo914
Ok, I guess I'm looking for a 911 motor, now!? . laugh.gif

Thanks,
korijo
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Korijo914 @ May 5 2016, 10:38 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 5 2016, 12:34 PM) *

Yup, it is for the blue car. Which has a perfectly good working 4 - speed side shift trans. But, I am trying to put a "5-speed" tail shift into my '73 side shift "4-speed". I am just trying to get 5-speeds.

There were no 914s built with the 4 speed 901 transmission. But the good news is the side shift parts that are in your 4 speed tranny will go into a 5 speed. The only difference is they removed the cantilevered 1 st gear. The rest of the parts are the same.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.