Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Break-in Oil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
I want to fill my motor but seem to remember that someone said to use only non-detergent oil for break-in. I've looked around and only found some .99 cent Coastal recycled oil that fits that description. It seems all oils have some detergent content.
ArtechnikA
lotsa stuff used to be true...

the most plausible explanation of this i heard was that non-detergent was a little cheaper, and for the first two oil changes (at 30 minutes and 100 mi) it didn't make sense to spend an extra buck on oil.

just avoid synthetics or anything that claims to be 'energy-conserving' (i.e. - extra-slippery). a nice ordinary single-grade suitable for the conditions (it's not going to be in there very long...) will be fine.

there's a big song-and-dance breaking in an aircraft engine, but - you don't have an aircraft engine, most of those regulations are unchanged from WW-II whether it makes sense or not, and you're not burning leaded avgas.
Allan
Thanks, I'm off to get some oil.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.