Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ground issue maybe?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jcav
In my 1975 914 1.8, I was out driving the car, and all of a sudden when i hit the accelerator the cars power seemed to cut out and if i kept the revs up ut would do fine.

I got the car home fine, and it would start up and idle just find but when i hit the accelerator it wanted to die out.

Im waiting for a new fuel injector to come in because i have a leaky one, but not sure what to look at while i wait for the part
timothy_nd28
Seems like the air-flow meter to me.
timothy_nd28
A quick test, remove the airfilter and stick something inside the AFM to move the flap. See if the flap moves freely, not like this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4nDzPI_kZ4
jcav
Everything works fine, even the radio cuts out when it happens, i can use the throttle body and open and close and raise the RPM just fine.
jcav
Does it make any difference this car has an oilbath filter?
jcav
Wellllllllllll i feel stupid, so the plastic around the accelerator cable was worn through in the engine pay and everytime i tapped the accelerator it hit the coil, causing a small short and for the car to cut out, i fixed the problem and everything is all peaches and gravy now smile.gif
jcav
Thanks for the help and response
timothy_nd28
Neat, a crude rev limiter
PanelBilly
Check the cable to make sure the "weld" point didn't weaken it. Easier to replace in the garage than on the side of the road
Garland
QUOTE(Garland @ Nov 14 2005, 11:21 PM) *

Pulling out on to the main road, under semi hard acceleration, the engine stumbled. It was like the switch was turned off, and the back on. 3 Miles later, same type of acceleration, quit and would not restart. Pulled over. Checked fuel pump, it was priming when the key was turned on. Electric at coil was good. So why won't it start? FI 1.7

Poked around and tried it again, and off I went. Well the rest of the ride when ever I went past 1/2 way with the gas pedal, it would try to shut down. Let off the gas or hard on the gas , and it ran.

When I got home I found the accelerator cable when under tension, would just touch one of the leeds on the coil and short out through a pin size hole on the casing of the accelerator cable.

Moved the cable a little, and good to go.

Same thing happen to me in 05
jcav
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ May 5 2016, 04:37 PM) *

Check the cable to make sure the "weld" point didn't weaken it. Easier to replace in the garage than on the side of the road

Good point i checked it and its good! thanks for the heads up
jcav
QUOTE(Garland @ May 5 2016, 05:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Garland @ Nov 14 2005, 11:21 PM) *

Pulling out on to the main road, under semi hard acceleration, the engine stumbled. It was like the switch was turned off, and the back on. 3 Miles later, same type of acceleration, quit and would not restart. Pulled over. Checked fuel pump, it was priming when the key was turned on. Electric at coil was good. So why won't it start? FI 1.7

Poked around and tried it again, and off I went. Well the rest of the ride when ever I went past 1/2 way with the gas pedal, it would try to shut down. Let off the gas or hard on the gas , and it ran.

When I got home I found the accelerator cable when under tension, would just touch one of the leeds on the coil and short out through a pin size hole on the casing of the accelerator cable.

Moved the cable a little, and good to go.

Same thing happen to me in 05

Gotta love that! haha it something so simple that took me a couple of days to figure out and it does not take much at all for it to happen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.