Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Breaks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
I am thinking about up grading the front breaks on my 73. I don't have the money to do the 911 thing. I have seen on this site people talking about switching to BMW calipers what model do I need? If you have done this ,what is your experience. Thanks Dave slap.gif
scotty914
the bmw BRAKES are from a 320i, dont know the year but make sure they are the ate units.

i have them as well as a 19 mm master cylinder, i like the feel. i think i can lock the wheels easier and i think the modulation is better too ( control )

some body will say its a step backwards, due to more heat build up and i say bs.gif , it takes the same amount of friction to stop the car weither the pads are bigger, or bores are bigger, or the master cylinder is bigger. smaller MC means longer pedal with lower foot pressure needed. bigger MC means shorter travel more foot needed. now the oppsite is true when you change the caliber bore, so bigger MS and bigger caliber bore ( same ratio ) means same foot power and throw. but with the 320i brakes you have a bigger pad which means more friction for given foot pressure.

to all who disagree with this go to lowes or home depot, then in the lumber section get a peice of 3/4 plywood. stand it on edge and push it at ground level. pay attention to how hard you have to push. then lay the sheet down and try to push it. same pressure more friction.

here
is my PP post on my brake work
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Thanks Scott, that's just what I wanted to know!
Dave slap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.