Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Now I know why!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TimT
Not for the faint of heart!

TimT
Just for a recap the engine was turning 7000RPM when the power graph took a nosedive, and the engine made a "funny" noise, those vee shaped grooves are where the wrist pin was sawing though the cylinder!
bd1308
blink.gif what is that? Looks like it could hurt someone though
TimT
the other 5 cylinders look fine though
TimT
You can see the silouhette of the Pauter rod in the center of this pic
TimT
gory view in the case
TimT
I see pieces, bits and pieces
TimT
souveniers

redshift
That looks something like the inside of an engine..

sad.gif

M
TimT
We should have it buttoned up and running within two weeks
SpecialK
pinch.gif
ejm
TimT wrote:
the engine was turning 7000RPM when the power graph took a nosedive, and the engine made a "funny" noise,

I think you mean the engine made a "money" noise sad.gif
MecGen
Hi Tim
Is this your motor....?
I hope not.... drunk.gif
Regards
Joe

beerchug.gif
redshift
579 RWHP! 578.... huh.gif 570.... 468.... blink.gif 301....

6... 6 RWHP...

sad.gif

M
Jeroen
blink.gif wacko.gif icon8.gif barf.gif
Series9
OMFG. I have tears in my eyes. I hope to never see an engine of mine looking anything remotely like that.

OK, I have an Idea. How about selling pieces to cushion the budget.

Since it was my idea, I would like the cylinder. Let me know the price.
TimT
CODE
Since it was my idea, I would like the cylinder. Let me know the price.

Sorry I like to keep these little trinkets,

I didnt take apic, but I noticed a hole punched in the side of the oil pump too. At least we have a coupla extra 930and GT3 oil pumps handy.

Thats not my engine, Its my friend Billys' It feels like mine though, I have built that engine myself more than once, and have hours of blood sweat and skinned knuckles invested in the car..
redshift
QUOTE (TimT @ Apr 1 2005, 10:00 PM)
I have built that engine myself more than once, and have hours of blood sweat and skinned knuckles invested in the car..

Have you considered something more reliable? Like a Chevy V8 conversion? :roflmfao: They have a light-weight aluminum one, yanks on concrete like an earthmover!

laugh.gif

M
TravisNeff
DAMN! That piston looks just like my cofee cup at work after a toothy cup o' jo..
Jake Raby
Been there with the JEs...

It always happens right at 7K too.

They must not have been reinforced skirts.

I had it happen to a customers engine last year at the track, cleaned the whole thing out and there were no other issues except plain old piston failure...

It doesn't happen often but when it does its serious bad news...

Crazy thing is that sometimes I run crazy piston speeds and it doesn't happen... Then on a mild engine it shows up.

Now I reinforce all the skirts and use the lightest pins they offer.
TimT
Been there with the JEs..

It always happens right at 7K too.

We smacked the valves into this piston early last year, thats whay we think it failed.
At least we didnt drag everything down to Atlanta, only to have it grenade down there.
Did a track side top end rebuild at Savanahh, and havent really touched it since. We should have tore the engine down and gone over everything, but we got busy with other peoples projects so ours got put on the back burner... live and learn beerchug.gif
redshift
Savannah... I am begining to see a patern!

M
john rogers
Hey, I broke a Pauter rod a while ago in my stroker big four, but not on the dyno, at the finish line at the CA speedway and foot to the floor in 5th gear! Sure makes lots of smoke! My buddy Ted was about 5 feet behind me and we figure his 356 will never rust now!
TimT
we figure his 356 will never rust now!

chairfall.gif lol2.gif chairfall.gif
seanery
Damn, Tim, that is some nasty ass carnage! ohmy.gif
URY914
Tim, Tim, Tim, thats not good.... sad.gif

Sorry,

Paul

TimT
I took the crank apart today unsure.gif the rod that was connected to the broken piston is shot. Its got a nice lil twist happening. The crank is going out to CCR monday for a going over.

We do have another crank that has been modified to use NASCAR clevite bearings cool_shades.gif , Its a 10000 rpm crank. Just have to call Pauter on monday to see if they have rods with the smaller dia big end the NASCAR crank needs.

Also looked at the heads.. they dont look bad at all.. no signs of any leakage past the flame rings..

Just another bump in the road
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.