Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Way To Clean Original Carpets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TM_Corey
My interior is all original and in perfect shape except two small separations in the driver seat material.

I would like to clean (maybe wet vac) my carpets but I worry about introducing moisture into the carpet/interior. Should I take it all out to do it and just make sure it's dry before reinstalling?

Also, any fix tips for the two small separations on the driver seat?

Cairo94507
Very nice. I would completely remove the carpet and take it to a place that cleans high quality rugs, like area rugs, to have them cleaned.

For the seat, an upholstery shop to stitch it correctly.
rhodyguy
agree.gif there's dirt and grime that a 'rental' carpet cleaner just won't get out.
burningman
Take it all out, run to your local self car pressure wash pressure wash using hot water. The majority of dirt will come out. I had a an old Westy with light tan carpets that were so dirty they were nearly dark brown as the P.O. let their dog live in it, carpets came out looking 85% new.
whitetwinturbo
...........fill floor pan up to the sills with carpets attached....then wet dry vac empty. What could go wrong or rust lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
wndsnd
Mike has a good method for getting out blood stains......... He has been perfecting his approach...

smile.gif
garrettlee2
I just run it through the washer when my wife isn't looking then let it air dry.
Mueller
QUOTE(burningman @ May 7 2016, 08:28 AM) *

Take it all out, run to your local self car pressure wash pressure wash using hot water. The majority of dirt will come out. I had a an old Westy with light tan carpets that were so dirty they were nearly dark brown as the P.O. let their dog live in it, carpets came out looking 85% new.

My neighbor flips cars and he often uses a pressure washer on the seats and such if a total mess. (taken out of care)

Works well, surprised me.

I'd be a little shy doing that to old carpet!
Garland
Remove it ALL. Soak in warm water and Simple Green, hand wash with a brush, block the edges, and hang air dry with a fan. The early rubber back mats will hold up to this treatment. It will help remove brake fuild from the surface of the rubber on the drivers mat.

You will have to remove a few things to get it all out, but you wouldn't put clean carpet on a dirty floor. Clean the floor while the carpet drys.

My Original carpet, and mats, after:

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(garrettlee2 @ May 7 2016, 10:02 PM) *

I just run it through the washer when my wife isn't looking then let it air dry.

Exactly what I did.
Rand
Dudes, it's carpet, not special 914 voodoo.
rgalla9146
Remove it all from the car.
I washed my 1970 tan carpet with laundry detergent using hot water and a scrub brush in the driveway..... more than 20 years ago..... and got decent results.
Ever since, there were two large spots that I thought were permanent stains.
I've since learned that my wife is a stain wizard.
She suggested using a carpet cleaner and stain remover !!! Imagine that.
Same thing..... carpet out... warm sunny day.... carpet cleaner, warm water, garden hose to rinse, hang to dry.....
Voila ! they look great and the spots are gone.
There is also a Dollar Store variety of this stuff
TM_Corey
Thanks everybody.

I'll post up a before and after pic when I am done.
PlaysWithCars
QUOTE(Garland @ May 7 2016, 07:20 PM) *

Remove it ALL. Soak in warm water and Simple Green, hand wash with a brush, block the edges, and hang air dry with a fan. The early rubber back mats will hold up to this treatment. It will help remove brake fuild from the surface of the rubber on the drivers mat.

You will have to remove a few things to get it all out, but you wouldn't put clean carpet on a dirty floor. Clean the floor while the carpet drys.

agree.gif
+1 Exactly what I did to my '74 and they turned out fantastic!

Whatever you do, start gentle; just like polishing paint. You can always use more aggressive measures if needed, but you can't go backwards if you accidentally damage the carpet.
JFJ914
QUOTE(Garland @ May 7 2016, 10:20 PM) *

My Original carpet, and mats, after:

Click to view attachment

Yep, Simple Green, a deck brush and a hose.
porschetub
QUOTE(burningman @ May 8 2016, 04:28 AM) *

Steam it up and see if it shrinks,spend a heap of time wondering why it is clean but mostly buggered......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.