Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hood Vent Oil Cooler Project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
Customer wanted a hood exit for his oil cooler. This is what I came up with. The framework is 1/4" square tube. The steel side panels are all hand formed. The hood vents are 0.100" aluminum. Inlet is made to work with the GT bumper/valence openings. 1/4" tube was contoured to meet the body. Outlet is shaped to match/clear the inner hood support structure.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
arkitect
Great job as always Mark. ...also looks slick from the outside. biggrin.gif

Dave
Maltese Falcon
Like it...also like the hood structure remaining with its oe support biggrin.gif
Marty
veekry9
Very nice,are those stainless aero flush rivets?
https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome...0flush%20rivets
Cherry lookin.
biggrin.gif
/
whitetwinturbo
wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
r_towle
Sweet
Dave_Darling
Have you checked to see if that is a high-pressure area? You may need to add a "trip strip" to the front of the opening to help get air out if it is in a high-pressure area.

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 8 2016, 07:47 PM) *
Have you checked to see if that is a high-pressure area? You may need to add a "trip strip" to the front of the opening to help get air out if it is in a high-pressure area.

You clearly didn't see the louvers ...
biggrin.gif
maf914
You do nice work Mark. Great fab skills. smilie_pokal.gif
McMark
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 8 2016, 10:47 PM) *

--DD

I thought about this a lot, then found a real Ford GT40 at a museum (they were hosting the TraderJoe's christmas party). We know the GT40 works, and it's got extremely tiny aero. Because of this, I actually think my panel is beyond overkill. But part of the design was aesthetic (not seeing a gaping hole) and part of it was protection (less crap down in the hole).

It was a really fun project. I'm thankful I have the opportunity to 'play' with this stuff. smiley_notworthy.gif
thelogo
I thought that you just cut out the front few inches of the hood
And vent there ala

911 ruf cars beer3.gif

https://www.google.com/search?q=ruf+911+hoo...uHP7dniu5nzM%3A
JmuRiz
thelogo: I was always wondering if it were possible to engineer something like that too. Either take 2" out of the front of the hood or out of the over-bumper rubber. Probably would take too much engineering work to make it function though.
thelogo
Really ,because it seems incredibly simple

Ruf 911 s have it

So i would think its more of a off the shelf tech.

All the engineering work should be done

Then again ive always thought wing mounted radiator s
Were much better beer3.gif
stownsen914
QUOTE(thelogo @ May 9 2016, 02:08 PM) *

Really ,because it seems incredibly simple

Would be interesting to see if it could work on a 914. Only thing to keep in mind is that aero is very complex, and airflow around the front of one car to the next can be very different depending on the shape of the nose. So what works on a very aerodynamic nose like a newer 911 may not work so well on a 914 ...
SirAndy
QUOTE(thelogo @ May 9 2016, 11:08 AM) *
Really ,because it seems incredibly simple Ruf 911 s have it

Last time i checked the 911 wasn't a 914 ...
confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.