Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Underbody Dimensions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nihil44
In the attached figure for underbody dimensions in our Tech Articles section, dimensions 'a' and 'c' mention 'form bead centre' .

What is a form bead centre and how can I find it at the front and rear?

Illustrative photos would be most helpful.

I have been under the car and waved the tape measure around from one of the fixed points with the stated dimension and tried to locate the point that way but can't reveal any convincing anatomical point.

Many thanks

DavidClick to view attachment
r_towle
Where two horizontal pieces of metal are bent down to form a tab about 1/2 inch wide, it would be the center of that formed bead.
nihil44
Thanks

Just been under the car (it is daytime here) and can see the rear bead that corresponds with the prescribed dimension. No centre point is marked but will find it by measurement.

The front doesn't seem so obvious . Any further info will be appreciated
r_towle
Which measurement are you trying to verify?
nihil44
Dimension 'a'
r_towle
I cannot tell from that picture but it looks like it is measuring from the brake pedal re infor cement piece under th floor.
Not sure what part.

Try this...
What are you trying to measure?
Car have an accident?

On the front of the car, it's a rectangle.
The two large bolts that hold the bar from side to side, measured to the two front bolts for the a-arms are th key.
If you measure those triangularity, they need to be exactly the same.
If that square works....and it's perfect...mark the centerline of the car based upon those bolt holes.
Then compare sides based upon that centerline up front.
nihil44
No accident. Just doing the due diligence checking

It looks as though I will have to replace the hell hole inner wheelhouse part and engine compartment inner long. This will require (I think) removal and replacement of suspension console. The collective advice is to take plenty of measurements.

I will be requesting some help on how to make those measurements in due course.

Thanks r_towle for your time and advice

David
r_towle
If you take the time to make a jig that bolts to the driver side and fits tight to the firewall, you can flip that over to mount the rear suspension ears back in place.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.