Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front window trim
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shane
I'm getting ready for paint and would like to remove the front trim, but the window is in good shape. It's about the only thing I'm not removing from the car and would like to keep it in. I've read if you remove the trim you break clips and have to remove the glass to replace them. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks in advance
r_towle
Go search www.tangerineracing.com
He sells a tool to remove the trim.

If you do break a clip, it can be replaced without removing the glass.
dangrouche
here's the clip you are discussing.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=74816

the trim distorts easily, when I installed a new windshield, I tried to remove the trim using the HF tools before trying to get out the old glass out. I found it pretty difficult and determined that if I used the tool, I would have distorted the trim and ruined it. In the final analysis, I cut out the old trim clips and don't regret it for a minute. I see that you want to get the trim out to get a better paint job, but seeing how the clips are installed, the glass needs to be out. you will have to see for yourself if you have the deft hand to remove the old trim without distorting it.
bandjoey
HF sells trim remover set about $10 I've used many times on all 914 trim.
Garland
QUOTE(bandjoey @ May 7 2016, 07:55 PM) *

HF sells trim remover set about $10 I've used many times on all 914 trim.

Item # 38386

Click to view attachment
r_towle
Interesting thread regarding the clips.
From what I remember 70 and 72 early cars, the clips mounted to little metal studs that were part of the car.
The studs looked like little bolt heads and the clip slid down from above and clicked into place....
So, I could replace them with the windshield in place and the clip had a u shape cut out of the bottom to slide over the studs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.