Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finally got my 914-6 wrapped.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
whitetwinturbo
NICE! Vinyl? Color?
PanelBilly
Tell more and detail photos too. How are the edges finished?
patssle
3M Hot Rod Red. The nice thing about our cars is one sheet is wide enough for both sides of the car!

Edges are tucked underneath. Very clean. There are some cuts on the body where pieces come together - not a lot but some. You won't notice them though from viewing distance.
Click to view attachment
6freak
where`s the 6 confused24.gif but it does look very good cool back grounds to
cali914
Looks great the first pic looks like paint.
somd914
Looks good in the pics. Been considering the same for the silver car until the time/money allows for a re-spray. Did you do yourself?
Mark Henry
Yes! Details please!!!

We're thinking of doing this to Teenhulk's 914.

QUOTE(patssle @ May 7 2016, 10:53 PM) *

3M Hot Rod Red. The nice thing about our cars is one sheet is wide enough for both sides of the car!

Edges are tucked underneath. Very clean. There are some cuts on the body where pieces come together - not a lot but some. You won't notice them though from viewing distance.

How much material was needed? and when you say "one sheet was wide enough for both sides" how wide of sheets were you using?

Can you take some detail shots of where you had to make the cuts?

There are a few 911 wrap threads on the bird, here's one:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...ap-project.html
patssle
QUOTE(somd914 @ May 8 2016, 03:15 AM) *

Looks good in the pics. Been considering the same for the silver car until the time/money allows for a re-spray. Did you do yourself?

I initially tried but vinyl wrap definitely takes some practice and skill. I did the hoods fine but the curvy areas and fenders got to me. So I gave up and planned just to pay somebody to do it.

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 8 2016, 06:31 AM) *

How much material was needed? and when you say "one sheet was wide enough for both sides" how wide of sheets were you using?

Can you take some detail shots of where you had to make the cuts?

About $500 worth of material. Standard 3M sheet is 5' or 6' wide so it can be cut in half and used on each side of the car.

Cuts will really depend on the person wrapping the car. It's an art so everybody will do it differently. I'll grab a close-up photo later.
matthepcat
A legit wrap job in the Bay Area Ca will cost 2-2.5k for a 914 for materials and labor. It's cheaper than paint...but not cheap per say.
stugray
This a wrap:
IPB Image

IPB Image

Material was 3M 1080 matte apple green.
Material was ~$375 and I have enough left to do the front hood and then some.

I did it in a day and a half with my son helping.
I had never done it before, but the 1080 material is very forgiving.
We messed up one door, and had to peel it off.
I was able to reuse the piece, and you cannot tell.
porbmw
very cool alternative solution
looks great!
would like to see more pics, and some "closer ups"
aktion035.gif
Krieger
Wow! looks like paint to me.
somd914
Agree that a legit job is not inexpensive, I know of one shop out here who says to expect at least $3,500. I've seen some nice shop jobs, and I've seen those from shops that I'm convinced I can do better.

Agree there is a skill to it, I've done boat lettering and some other vinyl work, so I'm no expert but have some idea of what we would be getting into. And like paint, the more trim, weatherstripping, lights, etc that come off, the better the job but more effort...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.