Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.8L L-Jet oil cap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rob-O
As I'm putting L-Jet back on the car I thought I'd replace the oil cap gaskets. The car was carb'ed before, so there was just a generic rubber o-ring at the very top on the inside of the cap.

I ordered the two seals for the cap from different sources. One was a rubber O-ring and the other a cork like gasket. The O-ring looks correct and fits nicely on the lip that is on the oil cap. I assumed the cork gasket was what would fit at the top of the cap on the inside, replacing the generic O-ring that was on there. But the cork gasket is much too small for that. My guess is that I received the incorrect cork gasket. Does anybody know or remember the correct orientation of the two gaskets involved?
Drums66
Proper Orientation is 0-ring upper....cork-lower, so if cork does not fit it is
wrong. idea.gif
JB620
Not sure if this is what you are referring to but this is what I have. Hope this helps.Click to view attachment
Rob-O
Exactly what I was looking for. I have the O-ring in it's proper place, but the cork gasket I received from Sierra Madre is so thin (and too large) there is no way it's going to work where the red rubber gasket is located in the picture.

Now off to find the right part. Doesn't look like Pelican carries it, Sierra Madre sent me a cork gasket that doesn't fit, I ordered it through Bus Depot but it's on back order. 914Rubber isn't making it (yet!). Grrr.....
Rob-O
None available directly from Wrightwood Racing (the brand that Bus Depot uses), none at Stoddard, none at Automation/Performance Products. That leaves me with either a trip to the dealer or Auto Atlanta...

Anybody know where this thing is available? Part is 022-115-315, maybe some VW shops but I'm not familiar enough with them to know who to look for.
Rob-O
Looks like they're NLA at Auto Atlanta too...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.