Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New clutch/pp in... Something "jutters"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Andyrew
Its odd.. I just got everything back working and such... when something feels wrong...

First thing was a lifter that needed to be built up with oil... fixed with driving..

Then my clutch was really low, couldnt adjust it anymore because of the cable threads hitting the adapter plate... Bolt cutter later thats fixed and clutch is mo betta.

But theres this obvious jutter when I release the clutch from a stand still...

Like the cv is moving back and forth quickly..

The clutch is Very much like an on off switch. and I found out that I DO have alot of tq... WOOO dang... roasted the tires in 2nd and 3rd on accident with 1/2 throttle ohmy.gif

Still not enough rear spring though... Thinkin im gona need 225's...

SOO... What do you guys (particularly v8 guys) think of this jutter???

I hate this... I installed the pp and clutch and t/o bearing myself without dad.. (he didnt want to help... he helped me install the trani though) and I really wish he would have helped to make sure I didnt do anything wrong.

Andrew
lapuwali
Check and make sure all of your engine/tranny mounts are snug.
SGB
I thought "judders" usually meant throw-out bearing. I'm sorry. Maybe it was a bad part.
DBCooper
Can also be a bit of oil on the disc, unevenly torqued pressure plate bolts, a pressure plate that was warped before or during installation, a pressure plate that's been overheated or otherwise has a bad surface, a bad, uneven disc, or slack linkage..
Andyrew
Everything is NEW (KEP stuff.. I very much respect their quality of product.)

I torqued all the bolts on the P/P to 45 ft lbs as per speck, sprayed the apropriate stuff on it... ext.

Im going to check the trani bolts.. but im pretty sure that I tightened them all very tight...

Dad says its the clutch... He says that high performance clutches like to grab and that its just the clutch "chuttering"

So.. we'll see if something breaks tomorrow...

Thanks guys
neo914-6
Andrew,

I've had mine shudder but not all the time. I also notice it takes awhile for "me" to engage it smoothly. You've driven yours regularly so you should be familar with the "feel". Let someone else drive it and see if anything is different. Also try adjusting the cable.

What Stage did you get? Did you replace it with the same clutch? I just received my Stage III clutch today, we'll see how it goes next weekend...
skline
Mine did that when I first installed it remember? It was out of adjustment because I had to remove the washer from behind the pivot ball to get clearance. Mine is the Kennedy 9" with the kevlar disk. Once I removed the washer, I could adjust it with no problem and no more chatter.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Apr 1 2005, 09:34 PM)
Everything is NEW (KEP stuff.. I very much respect their quality of product.)

well, what "kind" of clutch is it? is it specifically for street use?
my racing clutch does the same thing, but it's on purpose and by design. it's basically just a on/off switch. no more slipping the clutch with this puppy.

just checking to be sure you got a "street" version and not a racing version ...
cool.gif Andy
dan10101
He has a stage 4 pressure plate. It's the small clutch, so it's almost necessary. (Stage 3 might have been ok).

For the record Andrew, You do the work and then you'll know how to do it the next time. You did it the last time, I didn't even worry that it was done right this time.

The clutch has a very small chatter when starting out. I almost didn't notice it. Otherwise it's a bit stiff and plenty smooth in it's engagement. We'll see how it does tomorrow. I just hope to have him flog it a bit to see where the weak spots are. ( I don't think it will be the clutch).

Dan (Too busy building a new garage and laundry room to help my son..)
ChrisReale
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that you have a freakin' V8 in there? laugh.gif
BIGKAT_83
Check the 4 transaxle bolts to make sure there tight. I had the same problem bad chatter and found that it was only a loose bolt.

Bob drunk.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.