Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "914S" background
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
PCL
Does anyone have or have access to letters or other documents from Porsche AG or Porsche-Audi in NJ regarding the decision to market the 2.0 as the "914S", and then reversing course when Porsche AG objected?

Was the "914S" identification strictly a marketing device created by P-A in NJ? (It appears in sales brochures)

Did Porsche ever produce a "914S" rear body ID?

Please contact me directly...linsky911@comcast.net
Tom_T
PCL -

I also answered some of this in your other 914S topic, as well as some of this in that "914S" history topic of mine in this O&H Forum - link below for others ....

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=107851

NO - AFAIK Porsche here in the USA - known as Porsche+Audi back then (P+A) nor in Germany ever produced any "914S" badges. However, apparently some dealers did do so early on in late 1972 part of the 73 MY, as well as some aftermarket ones done (including a die-cut one sold by one member on here).

It was P+A which came up with & used the "914S" moniker & printed the brochures, Lic. plates, etc. for the marketing push - since Porsche in West Germany didn't initially feel the need to differentiate the 1.7L from 2.0L 914/4 of the initial 73 MY.

But beyond it differentiating the 1.7 from 2.0 - it also designated a "Trim Level" or "Special Options Package" - as the car companies worldwide refer to them - wherein both the Appearance & Performance Groups of options (Comfort & Sport Groups in German speak) were included in the base price of the for the initial release 914-2.0 model.

Later in the 73 MY they added a lesser equipped "914 Sport" model package which only included the F&R anti-sway bars & a couple of other items for a lower price point (Dave Kawashima on here has an excellent Orange example of one).

Similarly, the 1000 74 MY 914-2.0's built as the Can Am or LE (Limited Edition) model was a special trip & color scheme package ("Bumblebee" Black & Yellow & "Cremescicle" White & Orange [Light Ivory & Phoenix Red] - & the quoted nicknames are later 914 community monikers) - as well as they being a commemorative car issue, but in this case it had the "blessing" from Porsche W. Germany.

I was supposed to meet with some officials at PCNA in Atlanta & PCA in DC last week to try to start researching their possible documentation on the matter (while I was in the area for a business conference), but had to cut my trip short by a week due to a tooth flaring up & having to come home to SoCal for a root canal. So my research will have to continue at a later date.

If you do turn up any of those sales documents with reference to the 914S from someone, then please do also (re-)post pix of them in my O&H 914S topic so all of the info can stay consolidated. TIA

Also, feel free to post any other "914S" stuff you want in the linked topic above - since this is a community & thrives on everyone's c=info & constructive input! smile.gif

I'll shoot you a PM in a sec. with my contact info. FYI.

I hope this stuff is helpful to you in your research.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
PCL
Thanks again, Tom. The owner shared another document mentioning "914S"; I have asked him for permission to share it with the Forum. He says he took it out for a run last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I look forward to expanding our conversations.

PCL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.