Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 build project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Puebloswatcop
Well in between cutting out the bad portions of my 73 914, I spend my other spare time (very little of it) working on my 74 914. I have been sitting on both of these cars for over 10 years and have decided that since retirement is closing in I need to start working on them both.

Last week I put in the right engine shelf after purchasing it 3 years ago. It was pretty straight forward, although I have certainly lost my welding skills. I used to work as a ship fitter over 35 years ago and of course welding the sheet metal is nothing like welding 1/4 and 1/2 inch steel....

Click to view attachment

You can see the previous work started several months back putting in the inner wall and firewall, definitely a work in progress and showing how I have lost my welding skills.

Click to view attachment

So I spent a half a day cleaning up the inner long and hell hole and then prepped the engine shelf...

Click to view attachment

The test fit of the engine shelf shows how well it fit right in, no trimming, no bending.

Click to view attachment

Got the shelf welded in, The welds started off rough (to much build up) but began to improve as I went along. Finally was getting the machine dialed in and the timing right.

Click to view attachment

Unfortunately my camera died so I didn't get a picture of the completed install, will try to remember to take one later and add it in. Maybe after the hell hole is completed. smash.gif welder.gif and now its time for a beer break beer3.gif

Okay, I am done with the beer break and it is week 2. I purchased a set of AA fender flares (Thanks Eric) and could not wait to get started. Problem is when I placed the front flare on to look at how it would look....

Click to view attachment

I began to get cold feet when I realized just how much I was going to be cutting out of my 914. But then I remembered I had two front fenders on my parts car so decided to go for it.

I did find a sheet with the factory measurements,

Click to view attachment

so used the door frame as the reference and measured forward to the lip of the fender flare. I put it at 6 1/8" just shy of the 6 1/4 in the spec. I should be able to make up that difference when I cut it and clamp for welding.

Click to view attachment

I must have measured everything ten times, trying to convince myself I had it right , I was just so nervous about cutting up my car., I finally marked it out and stood back in disbelief again at how much gets cut out. WTF.gif

Click to view attachment

And then came the moment of truth, it was either start cutting or never install the flares and so..... sawzall-smiley.gif I started cutting.
I fit the bottoms first...and started my cut there, figuring if I chickened out I could fix it and no one would be the wiser. It still gave me heartburn getting ready to make that first cut. Sorry the quality of the pic isn't better, but here it is...

Click to view attachment

I must admit, after making that cut, I began to feel more confident (although I did check the fit one more time) and was ready to get it over with. I started off by cutting out a chunk, guessing that would make feel like I couldn't turn back...lol

Click to view attachment

And so the cutting went, it took about an hour using a cutoff wheel, but I wanted to take my time and make sure it was right. In fact I cut inside the line. Can always take more out, much harder to add it back in.

Click to view attachment

I fit the flare in and had to do a little more trimming (did I mention I cut inside the lines). The I used but weld clamps to hold it in place and make last minute adjustments. (lost that picture) and then tacked it in place.

Click to view attachment

After a little tweeking of alignment in between the tacks smash.gif I began welding it into place. I left the bottom edges incomplete just so I can make sure I have the cut and bent the way I want them before making the final welds.

Click to view attachment.

Well just as I was about to start grinding and blending my weld line, wife came out and told me it was time to stop for the day. I promised her mothers day dinner, so guess I better obey. I took a step back and checked my work. Some of the welds were a little rough, but overall I was pleased. And besides, where I cut that gaping hole, it was now filled with a fender flare...not bad for a days work. Hopefully the other three will go in as easily and maybe a bit quicker than today's seven hours.

By the way, thanks to Eric for making this possible. And thanks to all of you here and elsewhere who took the time to post your flare installs which provided me guidance and the courage to do this myself. I hope in the end it lives up to the standards everyone has shown on this site.

Cracker
Good for you...I'll be looking forward to your progress.

Tony
ndfrigi
Nice job officer! well your welding skills will not lost like what you said, only your welding machine that need some adjustments. And it shows on your welding done on the first flare and engine tray that you are getting the right adjustment. Hope to see more of your project and soon you will be driving it! Both the 73 and the 74 project.
whitetwinturbo
sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif beer3.gif
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ May 9 2016, 12:19 PM) *

Nice job officer! well your welding skills will not lost like what you said, only your welding machine that need some adjustments. And it shows on your welding done on the first flare and engine tray that you are getting the right adjustment. Hope to see more of your project and soon you will be driving it! Both the 73 and the 74 project.

Thanks for your confidence. I am also learning to adjust seeing my welding through bi-focal glasses....getting older sometimes sucks....lol lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.