Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stereo installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BfloRandy
Hello everyone! About to install a new system in my 75. Old one crapped out. I'm also adding a lovely little subwoofer that I purchased from 914rubber. That, combined with the fact that I'd like to hear the music on the highway with top off means amplifier too. The stereo power lead will just go to where the old one was, I think. Recommendations? I understand that the amp power needs to go to the battery directly. What is the best, cleanest and hopefully easiest way to do that without punching more holes in the poor old girl? Thanks in advance for your help!
-Randy
JmuRiz
Make your own console between the seats with up-firing small speakers.

I did it on mine and it works great, fires sound right up to your head when driving with the top off. Mine uses top quality 3.5" speakers I had laying around but I would think a 4" would fit too.

That along with Morph's 6.5" stock location speakers should be plenty.

FWIW - I just used the head unit's amp, but you can add one if you wish.

another FWIW - after I did the mods, I rarely used the system...I always listened to the engine and noises to see if I could hear a failure of anything before it happened biggrin.gif
malcolm2
Someone should work on headrest speakers for these little cars.... I saw some in a junk yard Miata the other day. Save on all that speaker power and put the speakers right at your ears.
Garland
I added a small speaker behind the back pad where the seat belt exits the pad at the top on both sides. They are tweeters and fill out the sound very well.
Dave_Darling
I ran new wires along the main wiring harness--through the "snorkel", and through the center tunnel. I taped the new wire to a coat hanger to push it through; took a lot of time and fiddling but it did finally go through.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.