Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Push rod seals project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
I'm going to have my longtime local mechanic replace the pushrods seals due to a small leak.
Since he will have to remove several other parts and readjust the valves I'd like to get an idea of other parts that could use replacing while he has it apart.
If he's been wrenching your ride, why second guess everything and just ask him? Otherwise, I would say, r&r the rockers, valve springs, retainer, push rods and valve gaskets.....
Dave_Darling
Why the valve springs and retainers? That's a whole 'nother world of work you get into with that!!!!

The pushrod tube O-rings aren't a big deal. You remove the rocker arms on the one side, then pull the tube halfway out of the head. Replace the seals, put the tube back, then once you're done with that cylinder you put the rocker arms back on.

--DD
I know, but it sounds like he wants to be really comfortable with everything-while its apart. So might as well go the distance.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(396 @ May 9 2016, 04:34 PM) *

I know, but it sounds like he wants to be really comfortable with everything-while its apart. So might as well go the distance.

Thanks, that's the idea; replace stuff that's either coming out or accessible while doing the seals. Motor was last rebuilt 15 years ago. Trying to be proactive here
r_towle
I would fix the seals, change the oil, tune up...etc.

Shifter bushings
Muffler bearings and gaskets
Cv joint check
Seek out more of leaks...l
Possibly oil cooler seals
Possibly oil temp sender seals
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.