Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: where to buy speed nut
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
AA has these for $1.50. I need 20 and would prefer not to spend that much on the engine lid grill. I had enough to do the letters, but the grills are just sitting there. Is there another vendor?

I took my grill apart and cleaned and painted it this weekend. These "nuts" look to be a small metal washer wrapped in vinyl or rubber. Some of them where a bitch to get off.

Click to view attachment
McMark
Slightly more expensive from Sierra Madre, but at least it's not AA.

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/Rear-...-68-p15629.html
McMark
Same at Stoddard
http://www.stoddard.com/99950722040.html
malcolm2
Now that I have a good Part number, I see that they are about $1. Some vendors have them cheaper, but they have no picture, so I don't feel comfortable buying them.

Could be a good 914Rubber item. But I wonder if anyone could make them for less than $1.

Funny, on the 356 pages of AA they are only $1.30

Thanks.
iankarr
While we're on the subject...does anyone have tips or tricks for removing those little bastard nuts?
rhodyguy
They tend to ruin the post on the emblem when you try to remove them. As you're ready to replace, squeeze them with a pair of pliers and they usually break in half.
stugray
Ace hardware has the spring steel ones

IPB Image
malcolm2
QUOTE(stugray @ May 9 2016, 12:16 PM) *

IPB Image

The posts for the letters appear to be a larger diameter than the posts for the grills. I assume that is why the nuts on the letters were tuff to remove. Will ACE have more than one size?

So I suppose you have used these and they work, particularly on the grills?

My method of removing was two fold. 1st I tried with a small screwdriver to pry them up on one side, then the other. I did not do much prying. I was afraid I would bend the grill.... and I did slightly.

After the movement from prying stopped I tried the pliers. I did not squeeze hard enough to fold them over, but came damn close. It just takes some patience.
Mikey914
I've got speednuts in stock
JoeD
I bought these from 914Rubber for the letters. 14 for $11.50.

Not sure if they are the same for the engine lid though.

http://shop.914rubber.com/Speednut-set-of-...ers-914SN14.htm

Chris914n6
Probably a VW equivalent out there.
malcolm2
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 9 2016, 12:26 PM) *

I've got speednuts in stock

Item states "letters". Since the grill pins are smaller is there a prob? Plus the grills need 18 iirc. I need 16.

Hell i have only had 2 since i started driving the car. Being 2 short will be a 95% improvement. (Estimated math wink.gif)
dflesburg
Did you look on mcMaster-carr ???

They have a million fasteners
cary
Just used them on Mark's small engine grills when I was working on the hinge pivots.
The the hole isn't punched thru the soft back portion. So it can be used for either grills or letters. I pre-punched the holes about half way thru before used them
Cuda911
I got some from TC's Garage.

They recently moved from Vista, CA to Escondido, CA. I don't have their new address handy.

Give Tom a call: Phone 760-295-3330. A great guy. I buy most of my stuff from him.
McMark
ACE/McMaster parts can work.
These guys can work.
IPB Image

But IMHO, the only thing that looks right is the OE parts you found. I think the aesthetics of my car are worth $30.

poke.gif
hide.gif
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ May 9 2016, 10:21 AM) *

QUOTE(stugray @ May 9 2016, 12:16 PM) *

IPB Image

The posts for the letters appear to be a larger diameter than the posts for the grills. I assume that is why the nuts on the letters were tuff to remove. Will ACE have more than one size?

So I suppose you have used these and they work, particularly on the grills?

My method of removing was two fold. 1st I tried with a small screwdriver to pry them up on one side, then the other. I did not do much prying. I was afraid I would bend the grill.... and I did slightly.

After the movement from prying stopped I tried the pliers. I did not squeeze hard enough to fold them over, but came damn close. It just takes some patience.

Don't use the square ones on the engine grills if you or anyone else ever want to remove them again. They come off by unscrewing them but there is no room to turn them under the engine cover, took me damn near all day to get them off of one of my cars. The small side grills are the worst. mad.gif
ripper911
Check the dealer
malcolm2
My luck continues. I dug thru my poorly organized stash and I found 15 new ones and 15 old ones. I vaguely remembered pulling some from a JY car and i think I did buy from AA. Click to view attachment
effutuo101
Pelican parts has them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.