Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Previous ham fist
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BeemerSteve
Frustrating too say the least!!
Was attempting to drop my driveshaft to pull the lump found one stubborn bolt from the previous person that worked on the car only to find that it's stripped. mad.gif
What's the best method to pull that out?
I have not yet tried heat plus shock and vise grips....would that be a safe route?

Thanks all!!
TheCabinetmaker
Cut off wheel, or sawzall, and cut the head off. Or, drill it off.
Perry Kiehl Clone
Vise grips with good serrated jaws on them has worked for me in the past, if that doesn't work use a cut off wheel and off with it's head!
LowBridge
either option above works but on the cut off wheel watch out not to nic the boot
Mark Henry
If your vicegrips keep slipping off mig weld a small bump on the bolt cap for it to hit. Not too big, as it has to turn past the CV boot flange.
Once it cracks you're home free.
BeemerSteve
Thanks for all your help!
This wouldn't have happened if someone wasn't so over zealous with their wrench before me.
steuspeed
Try some heat. You can buy a torch for about $10 at Ace or HD. Worth every penny. Helped me get a couple bolts free after everything else failed.
76-914
I use a 4" Ridgid pipe wrench. The harder you pull the better it grips.
Dave_Darling
Which driveshaft bolt? Do you mean the M8 "triple square" bolts that hold the CVs onto the drive flanges, or do you mean the massive nut that holds the stub axle in the rear hub?

Most of the answers above are assuming the former. If you mean the big stub axle nut, the answers are: 1- remove the cotter pin; 2- penetrating oil; 3- heat; 4- MOAR TORQUE! (Like an 8-foot cheater bar!)

--DD
BeemerSteve
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 9 2016, 03:24 PM) *

Which driveshaft bolt? Do you mean the M8 "triple square" bolts that hold the CVs onto the drive flanges, or do you mean the massive nut that holds the stub axle in the rear hub?

Most of the answers above are assuming the former. If you mean the big stub axle nut, the answers are: 1- remove the cotter pin; 2- penetrating oil; 3- heat; 4- MOAR TORQUE! (Like an 8-foot cheater bar!)

--DD

M8's....got them all out now! Heat and vice grips. I'm replacing all the bolts now and making sure they're torqued right.
theleschyouknow
good on you Steve
glad you got it out

beerchug.gif
cjl
ssuperflyoldguy
I've hammered in a Torx, can't remember what size but it was on the swingarm side so I'm feeling extra lucky now. Previously, I've usually used an angle grinder to cut the head off of the bolts on really stubborn ones, I like the pipe wrench method, another reason to go buy a tool tomorrow!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.