Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When do 914s get scary?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
2mAn
I know most teeners are happy with their sub-200bhp cars, because with such a lightweight car you really dont need a lot to be fast. Im just curious at what amount of power does it start to over power the car and become "wild," or "squirrly" or even "unsafe"

I know this is subjective, but Ive seen a lot of V8 swaps, subaru swaps will start over 200bhp and can easily be doubled with typical turbo upgrades. Then theres all the -6 swaps out there too. The Raby motors live in the mid 100s as far as I know and those are great, so again this is totally subjective but Im sure people can answer this without bias, to a point
r_towle

And who is the pic in your avatar?
SirAndy
Can't vote since you don't have an appropriate option for me.

I've scared the stomach contents out of myself (and passengers) in a stock 75HP 1.7L 914.
blink.gif
r_towle
So true, I have been scared by 914 when I open the door and the car shifts like it may break....and that could be zero HP....
patssle
Mine is around 200 hp and it, like my Boxster, hits "too fast for roads" very quickly. Just like that you're at 60, 70, then 80. And I really don't feel the most comfortable pushing it past that on public roads in a 40 year old car that just isn't built for high speeds like a modern Porsche.
sixnotfour
anytime you are going fast enough to slide and Think to Yourself ...I got this...
Mike Bellis
You are going to run out of talent way before you hit too much horsepower... driving.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 9 2016, 05:21 PM) *
and Think to Yourself ...I got this...

Famous last thoughts ...
biggrin.gif
iankarr
to me, 914s get scarier the farther I get from my garage.
76-914
Right around 130mph.
2mAn
oh man, I knew I was going to get some good responses, but you guys crack me up lol-2.gif
Pursang
QUOTE(cuddyk @ May 9 2016, 06:47 PM) *

to me, 914s get scarier the farther I get from my garage.

I agree. Scary also when you have to take them to a mechanic.
wndsrfr
Exiting turn 10 at VIR tangentially at 100mph backwards down the grass slope watching the it all in the rear view mirror saying to self "OK, just a passenger in a physics experiment"...... unsure.gif
Hank914
.... I would get too scary at any collision over 20 mph, unless you are colliding with a bicycle.
whitetwinturbo
..............scary when you start thinking maybe this could work as swap:

beer3.gif

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ May 9 2016, 08:05 PM) *

beer3.gif

Click to view attachment

Maybe if I put in in the passenger seat... idea.gif
wndsrfr
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ May 9 2016, 07:43 PM) *

QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ May 9 2016, 08:05 PM) *

beer3.gif

Click to view attachment

Maybe if I put in in the passenger seat... idea.gif

Oh yeah, but keep the windows open or it'll suck your sinuses clear! piratenanner.gif
veekry9
Click to view attachment
Sea of Holes,the Yellow Submarine.

"As we live a life of ease (A life of ease)
Everyone of us (Everyone of us) has all we need (Has all we need)
Sky of blue (Sky of blue) and sea of green (Sea of green)
In our yellow (In our yellow) submarine (Submarine, ha ha,ha ah)"

http://motorsport.zyyz.com/project_914_Blog.htm
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=77746
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=47768&hl=

Get me a price on those MgSiC Pistons and Cylinders.
blink.gif

The agony and the ecstasy,the horror.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=porsche+914+...b3eWHPZy_PzM%3A

I'll take 1100 hp for 10,000 dollars please,Alex.
biggrin.gif
/
1stworks
Well I'm at 350ish and its the fastest car I've ever driven.
Funny thing about it is you can drive it below 1/4 throttle and its
Like any other 914 but when you lay into it look out.It will
Scare you pretty fast...
GregAmy
In my opinion, the original narrow-body chassis is a 175-ish hp car. Remember, that's stock 911SC 3L power we're talking about...and the vaunted and feared wide-body '76 930 had 230-ish.

You start adding fenders and rubber and brakes and suspension and you can tickle above that, but I'd strongly encourage some additional safety equipment...and keeping the antics on the race track.

For me, the optimal engine swap for my '74 street car would be a built up 2L 4-banger, or a stock-ish 2.4L 6. Nice balance, nothing excess, fun little driver.
naro914
914's get scary when you buy them...
- your bank account gets scared (there goes all your money)
- your mechanic gets scared (because he has to tell you your first bill will be more than the value of the car)
- your neighbors get scared (late nights with a welder, worrying the neighborhood will burn down)
- your wife gets scared ("WTF did you just DO?!?!")
- your parents get scared (shouldn't you have a car with some sort of safety stuff??)
- etc., etc., etc....
naro914
BTW, hp is all relative to the rest of the car. Papa Smurf is 350 hp-ish and is really easy to drive...when he works. Hence the bank account scared comment...
dflesburg
when you feel air coming In from under the floor mats and the PO welded the doors shut.
dflesburg
when AAA finds out you have unlimited towing and three 914s...
mgp4591
So, Tony has over 600.... idea.gif
naro914
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ May 10 2016, 10:04 AM) *

532...at the wheels... w00t.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(naro914 @ May 10 2016, 08:16 AM) *

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ May 10 2016, 10:04 AM) *

532...at the wheels... w00t.gif

I thought he was saying 632, detuned at the wheels...
Any way you look at it, that qualifies as some scary shit in my book. Only 310 for me, thanks! shades.gif
blackmoon
Scary when you only have 140hp and you hit the throttle to soon existing a corner on wet pavement and you see the back end come around very quickly and the K-rail coming fast
Andyrew
Its all relative....

If your used to liter bikes it'll be hard to get "scared" in a 914 just going straight.

But in general 300hp in a 914 is pretty darn quick.

Its been long said that the chassis has a hard time dealing with over 500hp without serious modifications/reinforcement.

I've been sideways in a 550hp 914 with 12" slicks at 100mph... On a public road. That was about as scary as its been for me.
Catorse
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 9 2016, 05:21 PM) *

anytime you are going fast enough to slide and Think to Yourself ...I got this...

Dude what muffler is that? I want!!!!!
campbellcj
Willow Springs
Turn 8
No Aero
QUOTE(campbellcj @ May 10 2016, 08:25 AM) *

Willow Springs
Turn 8
No Aero

+1, turns 8&9 with the instructor wanting to "push" the gas pedel with his left leg while sitting in the passenger side.
stinkindiesel
For me, it's about $10,000. The scary part is what will happen when my wife finds out.

Gary
1stworks
QUOTE(stinkindiesel @ May 10 2016, 11:38 AM) *

For me, it's about $10,000. The scary part is what will happen when my wife finds out.

Gary

Lol I had buy wood floors to get mine done......
campbellcj
QUOTE(396 @ May 10 2016, 10:09 AM) *

QUOTE(campbellcj @ May 10 2016, 08:25 AM) *

Willow Springs
Turn 8
No Aero

+1, turns 8&9 with the instructor wanting to "push" the gas pedel with his left leg while sitting in the passenger side.

LOL --- lemme guess --- John Williamson aka "Otto" (RIP). lol-2.gif

He loved to honk horns and flash lights behind slowpokes too.

Lord help you if you ever flicked-on your windshield wipers by accident, or hung an elbow out the window..
iamchappy
When i run out of 5th gear and hit the rev limiter.
Cracker
There is no one-size-fits-all to this question. I'd be "concerned" in a stock 914 over 100 mph - I've been there - it sucks. In my car with issues - it sucks. When it was more sorted a short time ago - I felt comfortable waving off a pass for several seconds at 150 mph - didn't even think twice about it, totally stable . It is all relative...

BTW: My car has about 590 crank HP (+/- 5 hp)...not scary, just very quick. I never even spun the tires all weekend. I did "move" the tire on the wheel though...amazing traction for a 275 tire!

T

Click to view attachment
Chris914n6
I have a 200hp v6 in a narrow body. It's quick but stable.

I've driven a narrow body 400hp low tq sbc, but was not in a position to flog it but it did fine in city traffic. The owner however could flog it with great control.

I've driven a 300ish hp sbc flared car with old tires and lost it in a parking lot. Handled like it was top heavy.

I did trans work on a 335i, had to do a little of everything to make sure it was working right. Only 300hp but 4.5 seconds to 60 makes the scenery change in a hurry.

I'd put it at under 250hp for 205-225 tires and under 300hp for 245, and I like to live on the wild side aktion035.gif
Woodside914
When you're cruising down the road, surrounded by SUV's, who's drivers are NOT paying attention and someone decides to abruptly change lanes.....

We gotta drive defensively!
PlaysWithCars
QUOTE(GregAmy @ May 10 2016, 06:12 AM) *

For me, the optimal engine swap for my '74 street car would be ... or a stock-ish 2.4L 6. Nice balance, nothing excess, fun little driver.

Oh I hope you're right. I've been working on a labor of love, hate, frustration, anxiety, hope to put a warmed up 2.4E w/ MFI into my -6. Life has delayed progress so the project has taken much longer than planned, but I'm optimistic that this could be the year. driving-girl.gif

To the original posters question: it depends. Upgraded suspension and brakes enable more power. The chassis is pretty balanced and can handle quite a bit. But, more "go" without and equivalent improvement in "whoa" is asking for trouble.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Woodside914 @ May 10 2016, 09:29 PM) *

When you're cruising down the road, surrounded by SUV's, who's drivers are NOT paying attention and someone decides to abruptly change lanes.....

We gotta drive defensively!

That's the best one!
Cairo94507
Seriously, there ought to be a special driver's license test for SUV drivers which involves driving and parking those giant boats.
mbseto
Just keep a flare gun in the car. Nothing says, "hey, I'm here" like bouncing a flare off their window.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.