Click to view attachment
Gunn1
Click to view attachment
whitetwinturbo
...........what's up with that bullet hole in the roof dry.gif
billh1963
CB Antennae...10-4, Good Buddy! biggrin.gif
914time
What is the story with these two? Where did you find them? Are they both sacrificing to donate to a good one? Years?
mb911
I am amazed that we keep letting these cars go.. Looks savable my car was just marginally better then that when I bought it..

What's the story with them?
iwanta914-6
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 10 2016, 02:55 PM) *

I am amazed that we keep letting these cars go.. Looks savable my car was just marginally better then that when I bought it..

I think sometimes its just easier/cheaper (if you have the room) to buy multiple "parts" cars than to try and source certain parts for a build.

Of course if prices ever get to be anything like the 356's then he'll be kicking himself for cutting them up for parts.

Here's another "parts car" for ya over in Wisconsin.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/cto/5570964871.html
Gunn1
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ May 9 2016, 10:07 PM) *

...........what's up with that bullet hole in the roof dry.gif

All I can say is its tough out here in the country!

In all seriousness the targa had two holes in it when it was purchased, so not certain what caused them
Gunn1

I guess it cold be said anything is salvageable with enough time and money invested.

The green car is a 72, the previous owner had stored it outside with the front drivers door window broken out of it, so after sitting out in the elements for who knows how long and housing many generations of Rodents in the front and rear trunks, and numerous cats in the drivers compartment it had seen its better days.

That floor jack under it in the picture is there for a reason, If I were to remove it the car droops to the ground in the middle. the Longs are almost totally gone, with the exception of the top portions under the sill plates. The only thing keeping the floors intact is the black mastic sound deadening material. When I put the binders on it to haul it home the swing arm consoles where so far gone they just gave way and ended up allowing the rear wheels to splay out "Pigeon toe".

It still has a running 1.7 liter in it with the transaxle still in it, clutch and so on.

I have another 72' with a not perfect but much better body rust wise, the longs need work but not huge and of coarse the hell hole needs work as well. But all the rotten suspension mounting points on the green car, are solid on the other 72' which is currently painted and incorrect red, which will be brought back to its original "Sun flower yellow"

I will be removing the mechanics this weekend, then start working on the red/yellow car body.
Gunn1
Click to view attachment

Here is a shot of the engine compartment....notice the plywood battery tray.
Gunn1
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ May 10 2016, 02:59 PM) *

I think sometimes its just easier/cheaper (if you have the room) to buy multiple "parts" cars than to try and source certain parts for a build.

Of course if prices ever get to be anything like the 356's then he'll be kicking himself for cutting them up for parts.

Here's another "parts car" for ya over in Wisconsin.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/cto/5570964871.html

Don't think I will be kicking myself anytime soon...Whatever parts remain will be put up for sale on the world for reasonable prices to help out other 914 enthusiasts, or I will hold on to them and build another car. Nothing will go to waste.

No worries

Chris H.
Don't feel bad about that one. It's gone. Time to harvest the organs. Fixing a 914 that has folded up in the middle is reconstruction. The Targa opening is way off. If there was sentimental value or it had some provenance then sure, do it, but really only a professional can fix that correctly. You're talking about (many) tens of thousands of dollars by the time it gets painted. Have to have a Celette bench to ensure it was all lined up perfectly. Plus...you probably haven't found all of the rust and/or bondo yet biggrin.gif .
Gunn1
QUOTE(Chris H. @ May 11 2016, 09:15 AM) *

Don't feel bad about that one. It's gone. Time to harvest the organs. Fixing a 914 that has folded up in the middle is reconstruction. The Targa opening is way off. If there was sentimental value or it had some provenance then sure, do it, but really only a professional can fix that correctly. You're talking about (many) tens of thousands of dollars by the time it gets painted. Have to have a Celette bench to ensure it was all lined up perfectly. Plus...you probably haven't found all of the rust and/or bondo yet biggrin.gif .

agree.gif
Gunn1
some further photos of the donor car....
Click to view attachment

hoping to put some of the folks minds to rest out there that without a lot of time and or money this car couldn't be saved.

Click to view attachment

the left and right consoles are totally rotted out

Click to view attachment

under the hell hole is the Black hole!

Click to view attachment

got the engine and transmission out it though

Click to view attachment

Although the unibody is pretty much gone I have gotten a lot of good parts from the car.

front tinted window, front window molding, many good interior parts, tail ligh t
lenses, some good weather stripping, door handles, Blaupunkt radio, rear widow with defrost element, various fasteners, bolts, nuts, relays, wiring.....well you know

And now the engine and tranny. I need to dive into them more and see what kind of shape they are both in.
zambezi
That rear bumper looks pretty straight
Gunn1
QUOTE(zambezi @ May 15 2016, 01:05 AM) *

That rear bumper looks pretty straight

R bumper is rotten on the bottom and full of rust
Krieger
Wow that car is toast!
Gunn1
Click to view attachment putting her out to pasture!

For a little bit anyway.......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.