Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windscreen replacement question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DaveO90s4
Hi all,

I've done a a search for "+windscreen +replacement" but can't see an answer to my question, as follows:-

When I have my cracked windscreen replaced do I need to have new rubber surrounds in which to install it? The windscreen supplier says 'no, it is bonded into place' but I'd really like to be sure.

If I do need rubber surrounds or other related parts while doing the job, any suggested suppliers? I see the inner lower rubber piece looks tired and cracked)

Thanks yet again,

Dave
76-914
You'll need the spacers, butyl rope and plastic clips that hold the aluminum frame in place.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 10 2016, 07:24 AM) *

You'll need the spacers, butyl rope and plastic clips that hold the aluminum frame in place.

agree.gif

19 of the clips.
914werke
Try "windshield"
ndfrigi
keep the Chrome trim:
- need new clips to hold chrome trim
- glass repair man will apply butyl along the windshield to hold with the windshield car frame

delete chrome trim and just use rubber trim in replacement of the chrome trim:
- order the rubber windshield seal from 914rubber

http://shop.914rubber.com/914-Windshield-C...bber-914WSR.htm

http://shop.914rubber.com/914-Windshield-C...ps-914WSCRC.htm

Replace lower windshield to inner dash seal. Order it also from 914rubber

http://shop.914rubber.com/914-Windshield-t...Seal-914WDS.htm
Mikey914
If you use the windshield replacement rubber, you will not need the clips and the setting block. You will need to set with urethane. Some frit the edge of the glass as the urethane bead is exposed. If your installer can make a very good bead, it's not a noticable. This is what I did with my green car. It's less expensive mainly due to the chrome, but if it's not executed well will look like crap. Really depends on what you plan to do with the car. If you plan to remove to repaint in the next few years, it may be the way to go, personally I like the chrome better.
orbit398
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 10 2016, 11:51 AM) *

If you use the windshield replacement rubber, you will not need the clips and the setting block. You will need to set with urethane. Some frit the edge of the glass as the urethane bead is exposed. If your installer can make a very good bead, it's not a noticable. This is what I did with my green car. It's less expensive mainly due to the chrome, but if it's not executed well will look like crap. Really depends on what you plan to do with the car. If you plan to remove to repaint in the next few years, it may be the way to go, personally I like the chrome better.

Curious as to why you said to use Urethane versus the Butyl? Is this because of the replacement rubber used versus the original chrome trim?
Mikey914
Ye, the rubber needs to be "locked" onto the windshield. There is a small butyl bead internal on the profile to help hold the rubber to the glass, but I would not use the butyl to install as the profile is larger and the urethane sets up to form a much harder seal, helping to lock the rubber and windshield into place. Not to say you couldn't, but I;m thinking it will be much easier and a better installation.

ONLY for the rubber seal that eliminates the need for chrome.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.