Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7 to 2.0 really just a "bolt in" ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wyvern
I have a 73 1.7
Found a 2.0 for what I think is a good price .

It is a 74 GA (& complete with tins,alternator, flywheel, intake, and 44 weber carbs)
Told it is built (never started) Standard 94mm pistons..short block is built to stock specifications. It has a cam for carburetors and heads are equipped with dual springs, 911 Rocker Screw Elephant feet, and forged rocker shafts. Brand new 2.0 3 bolt intake manifold. Clutch/Flywheel included (215)

Is this too good to be true for $2500?

I would be taking someones word about the build and parts ..

Any insight as to what else I would need to install.
I know clutch ... Heat exchanges and muffler
IS IT A DIRECT ECU PLUG IN ?

I have searched but not found a definitive answer .

Thanks for any info / insight / suggestions.
TheCabinetmaker
Yes, it's plug and play, if you already have carbs. If so, there is no ecu involved.
r_towle
If you are going from fuel injection to carbs you will need a new fuel pump and you will need to read the article on how to rewire the fuel pump circuit. Look in the classic threads forum here, Sirandy did a write up.

For the motor, I suspect while it may indeed be rebuilt, it may have head the bearings replaced, the rings replaced, possibly new pistons and cylinders, but there would have been no work at all done to the heads.

It's a coin toss gamble that the heads will last, but they may, and you might be in for a long run with the motor....used heads can be used but they do have a limited life span, and many of the 2.0 liter heads have cracks in them. Some say all of them have cracks...so there are probably lots with cracks and very few without,

Rich
Rand
Wait. Who builds an engine and never starts it? Just had to ask. I wouldn't pay $2500 for that.
Puebloswatcop
agree.gif No one does a rebuild and then never runs it. I would certainly be suspicious. But if it is a good motor, that is a fair price. Is there anyone that can put it on a test stand for you and run it before buying it?
03blueboo
Just curious where you got the engine? I bought a 2056 motor (billed as a 2.1 liter) from a place called TVX Perfomance from Texas. It is a built up 1.7l. It dropped, well, lifted right in. The only thing that I needed to add was a different distributor. All the other stuff just swapped over (alternator, tins, etc). One thing I would say is I used 44mm Empi carbs (Webber repros) and they are a little big (I'm not sure what jets are in it). 40mm may be better. The 44s dump too much fuel initially if you floor it. I already had the fuel pump as the engine that came out was carbed.
Wyvern
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 10 2016, 12:57 PM) *

If you are going from fuel injection to carbs you will need a new fuel pump and you will need to read the article on how to rewire the fuel pump circuit. Look in the classic threads forum here, Sirandy did a write up.

Rich

Great , good info ... yes = add fuel pump (and a gauge / pressure controller ..?)
Wyvern
QUOTE(Rand @ May 10 2016, 01:05 PM) *

Wait. Who builds an engine and never starts it? Just had to ask. I wouldn't pay $2500 for that.

Yes that's what has me on the fence ... story is car went as a roller for someone else to do a 6 conversion ... sell left with engine
Wyvern
QUOTE(03blueboo @ May 10 2016, 03:21 PM) *

Just curious where you got the engine?

Great insight ... didn't pull the trigger yet on the purchase .

Catorse

I did on my 356. I had the chance to buy an engine, and I took it. I rebuilt it, and then it sat for two years until I bought a chassis to put it in. Sure, I could have run it on an engine dyno, but putting it in a car is much easier.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Wyvern @ May 10 2016, 03:48 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 10 2016, 12:57 PM) *

Rich

Great , good info ... yes = add fuel pump (and a gauge / pressure controller ..?)

If you are using carbs, you won't need a gauge or a pressure controller. A typical fuel pump for carbs produces 3 to 3 1/2 psi. This is the one I use.
poorsche914
agree.gif Carter P60430 Electric Fuel Pump

driving.gif
Valy
$2500 for an unknown engine is a big gamble.
Just from looking at the specs you mentioned, I got an impression that the builder didn't have too much experience and knowledge. That is a pretty stock short block with a lot of things thrown on the heads. Why does it need dual coils, special rockers, 911 rockers screws? What's the spec on that cam? Does it have such a high lift? Did the builder replace the pushrods to compensate the geometry changes or at least check that the geometry is ok? How is the clearance of all that?
I'm pretty sure that you can rebuild your motor for less than that and get better results, if cost is the issue.
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(Catorse @ May 10 2016, 05:01 PM) *

I did on my 356. I had the chance to buy an engine, and I took it. I rebuilt it, and then it sat for two years until I bought a chassis to put it in. Sure, I could have run it on an engine dyno, but putting it in a car is much easier.

But the difference is you built yours, while he is looking at laying out allot of cash for an unknown....I must admit I have one I built over the past year and I haven't started it yet either...lol, but we both know what went into ours.
r_towle
Keep in mind, things change and peoples lives change.
2500 is about the value of a motor built by a DIY that has not been started....

It could be a gem...I know mine would be nice, but no one knows me, so the value is parts and some cleaning time.....

I have bought many engines that had not been started, it's car gambling...
Wyvern
thanks again all . I am going to go see the engine and talk to the seller.

Hope to get some of the questions answered that you have helped bring up.
will be %50 info and look / facts & %50 figure out (try) if this is on the up and up.

kkid
QUOTE(Wyvern @ May 10 2016, 06:42 PM) *

thanks again all . I am going to go see the engine and talk to the seller.

Hope to get some of the questions answered that you have helped bring up.
will be %50 info and look / facts & %50 figure out (try) if this is on the up and up.

Hi,

Contacted the seller yesterday as well.
I will pm you the engine build info just in case you haven't got it from the seller. It's good to check prior to your actual inspection.

But as other says, you really have to make sure it's ran on the test stand or on the actual car. I got busted out once with an attractive zero mile rebuilt motor. It's seized up and is still sitting in my garage.

I assume the seller is in your area. So you can take an advantage of it unlike my case.

kkid smile.gif

Dave_Darling
If you have fuel injection, it's not a simple bolt-in. With a carb-friendly cam, you need to convert over to carbs. Search for that; it has been covered a bunch. You need the carbs, the fuel pump, a way to power the pump, a throttle linkage, manifolds, air cleaners, and breather box setup of some kind. You might want a different distributor, as well.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.