Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to title a 914-UPDATE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gunn1
I currently have a 914 that doesn't have a title. It does have the matching VIN's in all of the proper places on the car, and does have non current MN license plates mounted on it.

Does anyone have a list of steps, what is required, or a recommended way of obtaining a duplicate or whatever the term is for a new title for one that was lost for a old car.

I'm in Minnesota if that needs to be taken into consideration from a DMV/DOT standpoint.

Thank you confused24.gif
ripper911
Search online first, or call your local tag office.
Optimusglen
Go into a DVS office,there is a procedure for those of us in MN but I don't know it off hand and the rules change occasionally.
RacingDreamz
I have that same issue with my 914. We got the car from a guy in Ga that had a "non title registration". I get the bill of sale and all the Ga paperwork but our county DMV clerk says to me that without a title, I cannot register the car. Which I knew was BS but she held firm. So I go home, google search and find that Tenn does have a "Bonded Title". For cars over 30 yrs old and no title. I call the woman back and then she tries to tell me that I have to have an attorney, have the sheriff's office run the VIN # and then, maybe she'll do it. So I printed off the online info and as soon as I get a "notarized" bill of sale, again, from the seller, I'll be ready to confront the dishonesty in our county clerk's office.

Moral? Not all county DMV's are honest or know what they are talking about. Do your own research.
iwanta914-6
Just start here

https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/Pages/default.aspx

and FYI:
Non-titled Vehicles
What you need to know:
• If the vehicle has been issued a title, the transfer must
take place on the title. If the title has been lost, the
titled owner of the vehicle must obtain a duplicate
title.
• If the vehicle has never been titled, the Minnesota
registration card is acceptable proof of ownership.
• A foreign state registration card is not acceptable proof
of ownership, even if the state that issued it does not
issue a title to that particular type or model year
vehicle. Please refer to “No Proof of Ownership” in
sidebar.

Optimusglen
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ May 11 2016, 08:07 PM) *

Just start here

and FYI:
Non-titled Vehicles
What you need to know:
title.
sidebar.

There's also a process for registering a car that was abandoned, I.e. no title.
Gunn1
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ May 11 2016, 08:11 PM) *

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ May 11 2016, 08:07 PM) *

Just start here

and FYI:
Non-titled Vehicles
What you need to know:
title.
sidebar.

There's also a process for registering a car that was abandoned, I.e. no title.

The latter (abandoned) is the process I'm thinking would most apply to my cars situation. The seller I purchased the car from bought the car from a party that did not have the title, or at least this is what I was told.

It seems to me the state would have to have a mechanism to replace a lost or destroyed title for a vehicle due to that info being required to apply for tabs and or insure the vehicle, which is also required in Mn.
iwanta914-6
I would just go to your local DMV and ask. They should be able to provide you with all of the forms and information in order to title your car.
Gunn1
Thank you for the helpful info. I will check the DMV and will share my findings.

Thanks again
era vulgaris
QUOTE(OU812 @ May 11 2016, 08:20 PM) *

I currently have a 914 that doesn't have a title. It does have the matching VIN's in all of the proper places on the car, and does have non current MN license plates mounted on it.

Does anyone have a list of steps, what is required, or a recommended way of obtaining a duplicate or whatever the term is for a new title for one that was lost for a old car.

I'm in Minnesota if that needs to be taken into consideration from a DMV/DOT standpoint.

Thank you confused24.gif

Contact your local dmv. They'll tell you what you need to do. Every state is different, so only people familiar with your state laws would know how to help. Isn't it great how every state has different rules for this stuff? wink.gif it's not confusing at all!
era vulgaris
QUOTE(RacingDreamz @ May 11 2016, 08:54 PM) *

I have that same issue with my 914. We got the car from a guy in Ga that had a "non title registration". I get the bill of sale and all the Ga paperwork but our county DMV clerk says to me that without a title, I cannot register the car. Which I knew was BS but she held firm. So I go home, google search and find that Tenn does have a "Bonded Title". For cars over 30 yrs old and no title. I call the woman back and then she tries to tell me that I have to have an attorney, have the sheriff's office run the VIN # and then, maybe she'll do it. So I printed off the online info and as soon as I get a "notarized" bill of sale, again, from the seller, I'll be ready to confront the dishonesty in our county clerk's office.

Moral? Not all county DMV's are honest or know what they are talking about. Do your own research.

That dmv employee is full o shiznat! For registering a car that was previously registered in a state that doesn't title old cars, you should only need the previous owner's registration and the bill of sale. There'll be some forms specific to your state that you'll need to fill out. But i doubt you need to get a bonded title. Usually a bonded title is only necessary when titling a car where the title was lost, or where the registration is expired if from a non-title state.
RacingDreamz
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ May 12 2016, 01:26 AM) *

That dmv employee is full o shiznat! For registering a car that was previously registered in a state that doesn't title old cars, you should only need the previous owner's registration and the bill of sale. There'll be some forms specific to your state that you'll need to fill out. But i doubt you need to get a bonded title. Usually a bonded title is only necessary when titling a car where the title was lost, or where the registration is expired if from a non-title state.

Oh, I completely agree. Sad part is, that DMV employee is the County Clerk. Yep, this is a small town, back woods, county in east Tenn..... About says it all.
rick 918-S
We have a 1959 Austin Healey Bugeye we purchased. I went to the DMV and got a Afidavit of explanation form filled it out stating I purchased the vehicle At a swap meet and lost the title. I paid 300.00 for a bond and submitted it. We have a bonded title. When you pick up the form ask the DMV person what the best process is to get a bonded title. Some of the DMV people are very helpful.

If you sure the vehicle isn't stolen why not just have the plate run and see if you can track down the last titled owner? The Healey had no plates to run and I knew the car was in a salvage yard for over ten years
Optimusglen
In Minnesota they won't give you any info on the last titled owner.

billh1963
QUOTE(RacingDreamz @ May 12 2016, 08:25 PM) *

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ May 12 2016, 01:26 AM) *

Oh, I completely agree. Sad part is, that DMV employee is the County Clerk. Yep, this is a small town, back woods, county in east Tenn..... About says it all.

She's not dishonest. She's just typical of most government employees...lazy and not that bright
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ May 13 2016, 07:04 AM) *

In Minnesota they won't give you any info on the last titled owner.

If you have a friend in law enforcement they can run the plate for wants and warrants. It is likely the plate won't even come back to that vehicle as MN is recycling out of the system lic. plates. If that's the case. Get the explanation form from the DMV and get the bond. The vehicle is bonded for 3 years. The title will always say bonded on it as MN brands titles forever. I had a 66 VW Beetle with a bonded title. I sold it out of stated and there was never an issue with transfer.

The other thing I did once was bring a plate number to a DMV. They ran it for me and let me know it was not active. (no current tags) But did not tell me who the owner was. I happened to know the owner as he stole the personalized plate from me several years ago when I let it expire. dry.gif I will get it back someday when he least expects it. happy11.gif
malcolm2
QUOTE(RacingDreamz @ May 11 2016, 07:54 PM) *

It is no skin off of her nose. It is not like you want to marry the car and it is against her beliefs..... I truly hate it when people try to show off their so-called power.

Take the issue up the DMV food chain, Good Luck.
bandjoey
you can also file a freedom of information act form to disclose the last owners of a vin.
Gunn1
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 12 2016, 07:36 PM) *

We have a 1959 Austin Healey Bugeye we purchased. I went to the DMV and got a Afidavit of explanation form filled it out stating I purchased the vehicle At a swap meet and lost the title. I paid 300.00 for a bond and submitted it. We have a bonded title. When you pick up the form ask the DMV person what the best process is to get a bonded title. Some of the DMV people are very helpful.

If you sure the vehicle isn't stolen why not just have the plate run and see if you can track down the last titled owner? The Healey had no plates to run and I knew the car was in a salvage yard for over ten years

Going to run the plate first and see where it leads to.
Gunn1
Received the new title and plates in the mail after filing a form and paying 150 bucks.
The clerk said the title could be out as far as 3 years before being cleared and sent to me. Surprise the title (with no restrictions) and the new plates showed up in the mail about 3 weeks after filing the document of explanation along with photos and the expired licensed plate and tag numbers. Well that was easier than expected!
TheCabinetmaker
So, you really do own a 914? Prove it.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Gunn1
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Nov 19 2016, 10:43 PM) *

So, you really do own a 914? Prove it.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

This is one of the four cars .....I call it the red/yellow car that I filed for and received the new MN title for
Click to view attachment

Photo taken yesterday in the new fallen snow. I think now I need to see a cabinet to prove your a cabinet maker. No nails either, mortise and tenons, and lots of dovetails. Keep them tight.

Edit= if they look good, I will need some for my shed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.