Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front suspense might have killed me
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gunn1
I had accessed my 74 Bahia red teener and found an incredible amount of rust in all the "normal" places. Then I found this
Click to view attachment
What you are seeing is a rust hole in the lower control arm of the front suspension.
After a closer look this area had been welded up (repaired) previously, and quite poorly I might add.

This car was sold to me as a driver. It does run and drive but it is quite obvious by this it would be very dangerous to drive this car.

Please be careful and make sure you look at everything before hitting the road, or the suspension could kill you.
SirAndy
Sell it on ebay as a rare light-weight racing part ...
rolleyes.gif
Jonathan Livesay
Is that picture from the show about the Titanic?
veekry9
That's normal Ontario rust,my '74 Dart GT torsionbar crossmember went like that.
A simple repair now,a lot of fabbing back then,oxy/acety overhead.
We were all California dreaming in the '70s,a rust free car,any car.
Even today there is a huge demand for desert cars of that era.
The dipping and repair is time consuming,the thickness checked.
Better to find a set from another derelict.
/
championgt1
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 11 2016, 08:17 PM) *

Sell it on ebay as a rare light-weight racing part ...
rolleyes.gif

av-943.gif
whitetwinturbo
..........buff it out blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
jmitro
I think the key point here is to know what you're buying by performing an inspection, rather than blaming the previous owner
bdstone914
Want a couple of A arms cheap?
How rusted are the other suspension parts around it? The bearing brackets are probably rusted into the cross member.
Bruce
Gunn1
QUOTE(jmitro @ May 11 2016, 11:41 PM) *

I think the key point here is to know what you're buying by performing an inspection, rather than blaming the previous owner

No blame game here.

Didn't know if PO did the work or even knew about this issue.

The post was meant to simply say please examine your components closely for indications of possible failure.
Gunn1
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ May 12 2016, 12:04 AM) *

Want a couple of A arms cheap?
How rusted are the other suspension parts around it? The bearing brackets are probably rusted into the cross member.
Bruce

Already have a set of good a arms.

But thank you for the offer
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.