Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Differences in front suspension?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mb911
Is there a difference between front suspension on our cars someone told me the 2.0 front suspension had tabs welded to the a arms? Everything I have seen shows it all the same.
TheCabinetmaker
I have seen the sway bar u tabs on cars without bars, regardless of engine size. I have also seen sway bars on 1.7 L cars.
Luke M
Only thing that I'm aware of is the sway bar tabs on the a-arms.
Some 914's had them while others didn't otherwise all the same.
There's a difference in 914 early vs late brake systems.
Now if you're talking 914 vs 914-6/911 there's a difference in a few areas.
mepstein
I believe all early cars had the tabs even if they didn't come with the bars. Unfortunately, you still have to drill for the - through the body mount.
rgalla9146
Different torsion bar spline count on sixes.
No sway bars as original equip. on a six
Dave_Darling
Not sure about that last point. I think that at some point you could order a Six with sway bars? But, as I said, I'm not sure about that.

--DD
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 12 2016, 02:43 PM) *

Not sure about that last point. I think that at some point you could order a Six with sway bars? But, as I said, I'm not sure about that.

--DD

It's purely an observation on my part.
I've never seen an option list for a 1970 4 cyl. or 6 cyl. but can't say I've ever looked for one either.
Anyone ?
Did a 1970 sales brochure list options ?
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 12 2016, 04:17 AM) *

Is there a difference between front suspension on our cars someone told me the 2.0 front suspension had tabs welded to the a arms? Everything I have seen shows it all the same.

The early and late ball joints are different.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 12 2016, 05:42 AM) *
Unfortunately, you still have to drill for the - through the body mount.

Or use the 911 style under-body swaybar. I ran one of them for a while and it worked just fine.

You need the matching round tabs for the a-arms but other than that, no cutting needed.
shades.gif
914Sixer
Six's never had factory optioned sway bars. Factory PREPARED sixes for racing did. All cars 1.7, 1.8 and 2.0 had U tab control arms up to 1975. They did some cost cutting by leaving them off. SOME 76 cars DID have U tabs on control arms when they started running out of parts at the end of production.
JFJ914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 12 2016, 07:19 PM) *

Six's never had factory optioned sway bars. Factory PREPARED sixes for racing did. All cars 1.7, 1.8 and 2.0 had U tab control arms up to 1975. They did some cost cutting by leaving them off. SOME 76 cars DID have U tabs on control arms when they started running out of parts at the end of production.

My factory 1974 1.8 arms do not have the tabs.
914Sixer
Is your 74 a late in the year model? Like May, June, July?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.