Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Found this under the carpeting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jrblackbox
While pulling the old carpeting out I found this underneath the piece of carpet in the passenger footwell area.
krazykonrad
That is cool! I am not up on its significance, but it's pretty rare.

Paging Dr. Bowlsby!

Paging Dr. Bowlsby!
GregAmy
That's a label for a bag or box of qty 30 (Stuck 30) of parts (Teile) for some kind of clutch part (.423) for the 914. Figure out what .008 was and you have your bogey.
jrblackbox
QUOTE(GregAmy @ May 12 2016, 03:58 AM) *

That's a label for a bag or box of qty 30 (Stuck 30) of parts (Teile) for some kind of clutch part (.423) for the 914. Figure out what .008 was and you have your bogey.

Thought it had something to do with the build date of the car which was 09/70.
GregAmy
QUOTE(jrblackbox @ May 12 2016, 09:01 AM) *

Since no one was using JIT or lean manufacturing back then, it's more likely that Fritz pulled a box of those (obviously small) parts off the shelf, opened the bag/box to install one on your car, and the parts warehouse pull tag fell inside the car. From there it got covered up by carpet...and by some miracle of miracles did not fall to the ground through a rusty hole in the floorboard...

"I.O. Teile" roughly translates into "good parts" or "OK parts", so that was likely an approval/QC tag for the parts inspection/counts. "Stuck" is count or quantity. I know from my years of VWPoA experience that parts with "423" in the second group are related to the steering rack (I said clutch above, I'm rethinking that).

Could have been a tag that was inserted into a tray of parts lined up on the production line. Can anyone think of a small steering-related part that uses qty 30 per car? Or, it could have been a tray or box of 30 pieces, of which one or more were used on a car. Cotter pins in the ball joints or tie rods, maybe?

Greg
SirAndy
QUOTE(jrblackbox @ May 12 2016, 06:01 AM) *

Most likely from the actual Karmann Factory!

15th of September matches your build date, R. Krüger was probably the inspector at the end of the assembly line.
idea.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(GregAmy @ May 12 2016, 08:25 AM) *
I know from my years of VWPoA experience that parts with "423" in the second group are related to the steering rack (I said clutch above, I'm rethinking that).

.423. are parts related to the transmission ...
shades.gif
ripper911
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 12 2016, 01:49 PM) *

I know from my years of VWPoA experience that parts with "423" in the second group are related to the steering rack (I said clutch above, I'm rethinking that).

shades.gif

Pedals and levers.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ripper911 @ May 12 2016, 10:58 AM) *

shades.gif
Pedals and levers.

And lots of accessories around the (outside of the) transmission ...
shades.gif
wndsnd
I thought it was going to be a rubber and a roach.. smile.gif
malcolm2
sept. 15 1970 my guess for

datum 15/9,70 darn foreigners put the day 1st.... piratenanner.gif
PanelBilly
The guy on the assembley line looked for a hour trying to find where he set that report down.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(wndsnd @ May 12 2016, 02:23 PM) *

lol-2.gif
sb914
QUOTE(wndsnd @ May 12 2016, 11:23 AM) *

Nope! That's what I found although! smoke.gif
wndsnd
QUOTE(sb914 @ May 12 2016, 03:24 PM) *

QUOTE(wndsnd @ May 12 2016, 11:23 AM) *

Nope! That's what I found although! smoke.gif

Nice!
GregAmy

.423. are parts related to the transmission ... shades.gif

Actually, just dug out my PDF of the 2010 parts microfiche...looks like .423 back then had to do with the pedal cluster: pedals, push rods, shafts, accel and clutch cable, sleeves, levers, etc. 424 was the shifter lever and hand brake parts, etc.

Could not find "914 423 008" at all in there.

BTW, I happened across the part number for a 914/6 body in white; call your dealer and ask them to check stock... wink.gif 914.501.003.11

And as long as we're diverging...my fav VWPoA story is when Porsche was splitting to Reno and VW was clearing out the warehouse of P-parts...among others things was offering a complete long block-with-accessories 356 Carrera twin cam engine for $18k...
veltror
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ May 12 2016, 07:23 PM) *

sept. 15 1970 my guess for

datum 15/9,70 darn foreigners put the day 1st.... piratenanner.gif

At least we get it correct.

Somehow watching 11.22.63 just does not sound right.

EdwardBlume
How cool is that! And it's not rotted out with rat crap around it!
Krieger
I love stuff like this! A little snapshot into the past. Little did he know the interest people would have because of this overlooked item...
Cuda911
I wonder if Inspector Kruger is still alive?
Rob-O
QUOTE(GregAmy @ May 12 2016, 12:28 PM) *

.423. are parts related to the transmission ... shades.gif

Actually, just dug out my PDF of the 2010 parts microfiche...looks like .423 back then had to do with the pedal cluster: pedals, push rods, shafts, accel and clutch cable, sleeves, levers, etc. 424 was the shifter lever and hand brake parts, etc.

Could not find "914 423 008" at all in there.

BTW, I happened across the part number for a 914/6 body in white; call your dealer and ask them to check stock... wink.gif 914.501.003.11

And as long as we're diverging...my fav VWPoA story is when Porsche was splitting to Reno and VW was clearing out the warehouse of P-parts...among others things was offering a complete long block-with-accessories 356 Carrera twin cam engine for $18k...

How about 608 instead of 008? When I zoom in it almost looks like there is a loop for a '6' on that first character.

Forget it. Just looked and didn't find anything for that either.

We should look up Kruger on the Internet and ask him to tell us what it was. I'm SURE he remembers!
dralf
Has the scrap of paper been turned over to see if by chance it was used to jot down some Fraulein's phone number...Kruger may have been quite the Casanova back in those days.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.