Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel / Evap system plumbing & connections
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wyvern
I am working on a 73 1.7
It has the expansion tank and the canister in the front compartment and all connected correctly .
My question is back in the engine bay.
The two larger plastic hard line hoses just terminate (& not connected to anything) behind the "engine fan area"
My understanding is that 1 should be attached to the air cleaner and the other to the fan shroud to pressurize.

Here is a diagram I found ... I marked where my lines are cut (or just end) with a red line the green line shows how it is connected now.

1. should I do anything ?
2. should i connect as it should be with hose. What hose goes to what ?
3. Is there something different I should be doing ...was this disconnected and reconnected like this for a reason ?

Tnks
boxsterfan
2. should i connect as it should be with hose. What hose goes to what ?

Just connect as diagramed. The hose coming off of the fan goes back to the expansion tank.

The hose coming from the expansion tank goes into the air filter housing.

You'll have to get a peak at your plastic hoses running under the rocker on the driver's side. I can't remember which one is the "return" vs "supply".
boxsterfan
Note, you can see what it will look like under the driver's rocker here.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=227937&hl=

I can't remember which plastic hose pictured is the "return" vs "supply" side.
Wyvern
Thanks ... Will do #2 ) connect as should be)
I will disconnect one of the hoses at the charcoal filter and blow compressed air through ( just the hose ) to determine what hose is what in the engine bay)

Bet my wife will be as happy about that project as her helping bleed the brakes ... Lol
Gunn1
Is this needed anymore ? Why not just eliminate the complete evaporative system?
jcd914
QUOTE(OU812 @ May 12 2016, 05:52 PM) *

Is this needed anymore ? Why not just eliminate the complete evaporative system?

Because it is an emissions system that does good for the environment and has no negative impact on vehicle performance.
It also has the added benefit of helping keep your car from smelling of fuel.

Just because it is an emission system or device does not mean it is a bad thing to have. Yes some of them impact the performance and have debatable emissions improvements.

Jim
Wyvern
Job done ... thanks all.
bretth
Does the activated charcoal even work anymore on these 40 year old canisters? Can new charcoal be added somehow. The canister on my 75 is missing. Can get a new one somewhere?

Brett
rhodyguy
The plastic ones can be easily opened and the charcoal refreshed. You look for the pellitized charcoal. I got some via Amazon. Way cheaper. The metal canisters would need to be cut open.
boxsterfan
QUOTE(bretth @ May 13 2016, 04:33 AM) *

Does the activated charcoal even work anymore on these 40 year old canisters? Can new charcoal be added somehow. The canister on my 75 is missing. Can get a new one somewhere?

Brett

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=389074

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.