Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is a 160 am alternator necessary?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
grimmel
Just wanted to mention that installation of Pete's 160 amp alternator did wonders for my 914...much better drive-ability plus the new led headlights really shine and the voltage doesn't drop when they are on.

Grimmel
Sacramento, CA
Gunn1
QUOTE(grimmel @ May 12 2016, 03:37 PM) *

Just wanted to mention that installation of Pete's 160 amp alternator did wonders for my 914...much better drive-ability plus the new led headlights really shine and the voltage doesn't drop when they are on.

Grimmel
Sacramento, CA

Not sure......... but the use of LED's Versus the Original filament bulbs would use less electricity for the same lumen output.

Which would mean even with the standard alternator you shouldn't see as much voltage drop as you did when running the original bulbs.

somd914
Dim headlights are likely more of a wiring issue than an alternator issue, but you upped to LEDs which draw less. Using relays and new wiring to supply high current to headlights while using factory headlight wiring just to drive the relays thus little current flowing through the switch and old wiring is wise upgrade. Also keep in mind the power source for the factory voltmeter is highly affected by lighting and not a true indicator of alternator output.

But glad to see you are happy with this upgrade.
catsltd
I upgraded my alternator to a high output model also.

With so much resistance in my old wires,it still takes a few minutes of driving to get my guage to show 14 volts,but it never ever worked with stock bosh model.

One of my best purchases,although a new harness is in my wish list.
Cheers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.