Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is your opinion on this GT tribute car please ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Frankvw
Hi, your opinion please !
On Ebay there is a 914 in marathon blue with at least extensive description and detailed pics. I miss that a lot in the adds on ebay, but this one is described properly.
It really looks great, owner did register here on 914world as well, but I cannot find any info on the site about it. Was it build by one of the members before the current owner got it 6 years ago?
Seller seems a nice guy in the communication, and seems straight and honest about the car. It looks like a GT only not a 6 in the back, but still some power with the current setup !
I look at it as a great looking 914-4 GT tribute and is slightly higher then my budget, so please advice.
Thanks a lot for your feedback.

231941464358 Is the ebaynr.
Frankvw
Sorry, here the full link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-Black-/231941464358
Interested in your feedback.
Larmo63
Engine sounds like a healthy build. The front warts look shitty, and fiberglass fenders wouldn't be my first choice.

Depends on what his reserve is?
Frankvw
I have asked about the reserve, at the moment it is only 500 lower than the buy now price, which makes it 16K car at the moment. he said he might change it after some more days / and or interest in the car to a 1K lower than the buy now , but maybe there was interest enough. It caught my interest for sure. Looking for my first 914 which should be a driver plus, and this is a complete sorted car (so it seems),...but hey...I am only looking into the 914 world since like 6 months, that is why I want to pick the experience of this community....
JOEPROPER
The RAT 2270 is said to be a highly desired engine that goes for roughly 20k on it's own. If you like it that much, then you could possibly find someone in the area to do a ppi. You have some time to arrange it but be sure to verify the engine and quality of installation among all the usual caveats.
Spoke
Given the accelerating prices of well sorted 914's, 16k if indeed it is low rust with a well functioning RAT motor, isn't that bad.

Looks nice. I'd drive it.
pete000
I like it, nice build. Still running tits too !
ndfrigi
This should sell fast for that Buy It Now price.
veekry9
Other than some original looking medium rust in the trunk,a decent car for the 16.5K asked.
Ask for detailed pix of the HH and lower firewall panels,longs.
Even in the case of a few perforations in those areas,it's a difficult task to build a similar product for less cash.
I even like the colour,the int looks great.
smile.gif
/
gereed75
Big big fan of marathon blue. If it is what you want, could not duplicate it for that cash.

The bidding will tell u if you could get your cash back on a future re-sale. I bet it will go for close to the ask.
Mike Bellis
Find out what the Raby engine serial number is. If it does not have one, it is just parts bought from his web store and not a real Raby engine.
Cairo94507
What Mike just said agree.gif
r_towle
Sounds like a nice checkbook build.
I suspect it's a real motor.
But, do ask.
Frankvw
Thanks for all insights and feedback sofar.
I send a message about the engine nr. to the seller.
I will keep you updated.
thanks !
somd914
Agree that the warts look awful but that can be remedied.

Also agree to verify if it is a Raby build or a Raby kit.

And agree about checking the hell hole and longs.

And finally, I agree if as advertised it is well priced.

Good luck.
JOEPROPER
agree.gif I agree with a few of the guys with regards to the fact that you couldn't build it for that price. Not even close. Ask a lot of questions and get detailed pictures and if everything checks out, then you have a nice car for a reasonable price.
EdwardBlume
Mike makes a good point.

It does seem like a money build given the condition and components. HH looks fine.

16500 could be a good bargain for a cool color, screaming motor and excellent components.
Frankvw
Ok guys....I got feedback from seller....yes, itis a raby engine. It has a raby number. What can i do with this number other than its info that RAT build the engine ? Look it up somewhere ?
The engine was already in the car when this owner got it, so it is over 6 years ago build for sure.
JOEPROPER
B popcorn[1].gif uy it before someone else does. Like I said, you couldn't build it for close to that.
Frankvw
Not sure about the moneybuild/open checkbook remark that was made. In (my opinion) that case the flared fenders would be steel, and the owner states that he would redo the flares if he kept the car and this time do it somewhat better (Cut away more old fender) and use steel flares instead. But maybe I am wrong and one of the steps was done in a hurry or there was no better alternative at that moment (or knowledge/experience with this kind of conversion). The current flares look good as they are the seller states, but he did mention this item as well in the add as improvement for the future.

Thanks again for all tips and feedback...anything I really should not forget to ask this seller / about this car ?
He bought it like this, he did not build it, he did work on it every year.
But nobody regognizes this car ? It looks like it was build by a 914 connaiseur, so problably someone you guys could know ?
Harpo
My Raby engine built by Jake came with these air filter covers.

David

Click to view attachment
Frankvw
Same filtercovers minus the adhesive mass1Ve raby sticker on that car. Thanks for your input !
nein14
Would not consider it GT tribute car the Flares are not steel no other real or reproduction GT parts on the car not a 6, no recaro or Konig seats,etc.just IMHO also price a little high
mepstein
QUOTE(nein14 @ May 14 2016, 05:07 PM) *

Would not consider it GT tribute car the Flares are not steel no other real or reproduction GT parts on the car not a 6, no recaro or Konig seats,etc.just IMHO also price a little high

Right. Just a flared 4 w/ tits.
Frankvw
Interesting to see the opinions are very different, and yes...not everybody likes it.
One important advice from the 914 world community was to buy the best 914 for the money I could spend. Buy the best.... And that is why I asked your advice....
I asked since I was not sure if a modified 'tribute' (so a non-original car) was a good first 914 choice. I am still not sure, but I Thought it was a lot of 914 for the money.

mepstein
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say I don't like the car or to disparage it. I actually do like it and think it has a lot of potential. At the price listed, it needs to be thoroughly checked out. And about the raby engine, you need to know if it's a kit or a jake built engine. Real steel flares could be added later. Good luck.
injunmort
my opinion is if i wanted a raby engine, how much is it worth to me to get it now? no doubt desirable no doubt expensive. if that is what i want and could have it now, what i am i willing to pay for the convenience of it now, though used. i don't question there is way more invested in this than what is asked for, the question is, is this the car i would build? for me the answer is no, i would have used steel flares, upgradeable, sure, but expensive in flares, labor and paint. thats assuming the car is rust free. i have never seen one. so is a used raby engine worth 16k? probably, but not to me. original rust free cars command the most money and have the widest audience. building or buying customs is a passion, not a business decision.
somd914
QUOTE(injunmort @ May 14 2016, 07:18 PM) *

my opinion is if i wanted a raby engine, how much is it worth to me to get it now? no doubt desirable no doubt expensive. if that is what i want and could have it now, what i am i willing to pay for the convenience of it now, though used. i don't question there is way more invested in this than what is asked for, the question is, is this the car i would build? for me the answer is no, i would have used steel flares, upgradeable, sure, but expensive in flares, labor and paint. thats assuming the car is rust free. i have never seen one. so is a used raby engine worth 16k? probably, but not to me. original rust free cars command the most money and have the widest audience. building or buying customs is a passion, not a business decision.

There are some good points here.

To me the engine is very desirable, thus I'd be willing to pay more as I recently did on my Revenna green car. But I have to agree, upgrades are a personal taste. We've seen many people advertise their car for what they have invested in and refuse to accept that it is worth well south of their invested value.

To me the biggest concern is rust. Repairs sky rocket in that department, and it's always worse than expected. But if it is just the two spots advertised (probably not in all reality), I still contend it might be priced well, but as injunmort points out, that is if these upgrades are appealing to you.

But explore it - always better to look and walk away than not look and second guess yourself later on.
Frankvw
Thanks for the constructive feedback, it is helpfull and your personal opionion is valued.
The seller is not responding to my last messages and car is taken off Ebay now, before end of auction.
Maybe someone bought it already. A lot of maybe's.....Maybe this was not my first 914.
I will keep an eye on the classified forum for sure and if you guys know a sorted driver for sale, think of me.
In case seller gets back to me, I will update this topic of course.
Frankvw
Seller just mailed me car is indeed sold before end of auction.
somd914
QUOTE(Frankvw @ May 15 2016, 04:36 AM) *

Seller just mailed me car is indeed sold before end of auction.

E-Bay sellers... Keep looking, something will come up, and in the meantime, stay involved here.
injunmort
there will be others, you can count on it
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(injunmort @ May 15 2016, 07:01 AM) *

there will be others, you can count on it

agree.gif Not the last one. Keep looking!
Cracker
I'm sorry you lost-out if that is something you truly were interested in...

It would behove you to understand that ebay is NOT an auction, its an advertisement. To most, the process is utilized to simply draw attention and fish for prospects. Ebay has no power or value add for the serious car enthusiast and 9/10 times deals will happen off line.

Keep your eyes open and especially around here - some of the best cars come up for sale through the World.

Best wishes!

Tony
mepstein
Ive bought 20 914's. None of them on eBay. I don't like competition when I'm buying. The owner of my shop has purchased at least 200 911's. Again, never eBay. We both like better deals than what eBay has to offer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.