Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The temperature on consul VDO oil temp gage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wes
My 74 is almost all newly rebuilt. My gages are rebuilt by Palo Alto Speedometer, the engine I bought from a member said to have about 1000 miles that was 2.0 now 2056 blueprinted and balanced carbed with a GT lid. My concern is the reading on my no numbers VDO gage as it reads just above the starting point in the white, the outside temp about 75 to 80 degrees and easy driving light traffic, between 30 to 55 mph so is it posable it is running that low? I was thinking about changing the sender but thought I'd ask first! I have a dipstick temp that reads at ruffly 180 + to just 200. Probably wouldn't be of concern but I thought it would a running little hotter.
76-914
Gage and sender might be mismatched. There is a number stamped on the sender. It's been covered here several times so you probably will find that info quickly. beerchug.gif I'm terrible at searching or I'd find it for ya. beerchug.gif
wes
That was my first thought as the engine has been nicely built so I would think he may have had a better gauge to watch over it.
era vulgaris
Not sure if it's related, but my oil temp gauge started working intermittently a few months back. Most of the time it would barely register a temp, and maybe 10% of the time it would work correctly. I replaced the sender and it's worked fine since.
I've heard people say senders don't go bad, but I went through the wiring and tested it all, and also tested the gauge. The only thing left was the sender and replacing it fixed my problem.
porschetub
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ May 15 2016, 02:29 AM) *

Not sure if it's related, but my oil temp gauge started working intermittently a few months back. Most of the time it would barely register a temp, and maybe 10% of the time it would work correctly. I replaced the sender and it's worked fine since.
I've heard people say senders don't go bad, but I went through the wiring and tested it all, and also tested the gauge. The only thing left was the sender and replacing it fixed my problem.

Good points,cheap enough to replace and good piece of mind,I have seen them really dirty (oxidised) and not work properly, clean up with fine sandpaper and you generally get a higher temp due to improved conductivity.
Check to see your wiring to it is healthy,fit a new connector thats a good start if your wirings ok.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.