Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vinyl Covered Sails On Non-Apperance Group 1974 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
TM_Corey
Was it fairly common to have vinyl wrapped sails on a Non-Apperance group 1974 2.0?

My window sticker lists it as a no charge "vinyl covered roll bar" but I keep seeing threads saying it is an appearance group option.

Tom_T
QUOTE(TM_Corey @ May 14 2016, 07:39 AM) *

Was it fairly common to have vinyl wrapped sails on a Non-Apperance group 1974 2.0?

My window sticker lists it as a no charge "vinyl covered roll bar" but I keep seeing threads saying it is an appearance group option.

TM -

Any 914 could have the vinyl alone, with 1 or more other options, or with the group(s).

The option groups were just that - groups of separate options in one package, usually for a better price than if had separately, as they are today from Porsche etc.

Any of those options could also be had for a separate price on the cars as well.

Everything else on your window sticker listed as "N.C." are really just the standard equipment on ALL 914s, so really more of a sales tool, except the roll bar vinyl trim (which would've included the extra chrome trim pieces as well).

Yours being a 2L, it was probably included as an extra goodie for the higher priced model. However, in the 74 MY they pretty much always charged for every true option on them - 1.7 or 2.0 - in order to keep the base price lower, what with the fast escalation of the DM vs. the dollar, which had the German car prices climbing rapidly vs. the US makes & thereby losing market share.

Note the Model number at the top center of the form - & you may find this page on Jeff Bowlsby's 914 site interesting, but do also cruise around the rest of his website by going back to the main page....

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/ModelNumbers.htm

BTW - the 8-track player was a common & period correct dealer option, or added by owners themselves. You can go to the Woody's link below & get an adapter which discretely attaches to the radio to enable you to play your modern media on it.

http://woodyscustomshop.com/online-store/

Alaska Blue is a beautiful color & one of my Faves since when I was in college back then! drooley.gif wub.gif

Which interior color is it? confused24.gif

Congratz on a great find!

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
TM_Corey
Awesome explanation Tom! Thank you for your time.

It is a beautiful all original black interior. Except for the Craig 8 track installed in 1974, I have the receipt for the radio and insulation. The tach was also replaced under warranty in 1974, I have that receipt also.
Tom_T
Excellent! Keep all of the OO's records from day 1 - it will add value in the long run!

OK - how about some exterior pix!? confused24.gif

BTW - your pic at your car's VIN at the list on here is a dead link.

I'll be in Indy in August for some family & business stuff, but it's the after the weekend 914 gathering up north at the Dunes or whatever that you folks are having then. So I'll miss that.

PS - most of the US 914s came here without radios, & they were added at the dealers. Craig was a top brand back then, & probably a better unit than the VWoA Motorola AM/FM/8-Track dealer sold/installed unit in my 73 2L.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
TM_Corey
Lots of pics here Tom:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=279979

I should have it back in a week or two. Would love to meet up and get an expert's opinion. I'm not really phased by the naysayers in the thread. Anything mechanical can run forever with love and $$$ wink.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ May 15 2016, 06:36 AM) *

Thanx Dave - I couldn't recall where I'd seen it before, in my answer above.

beerchug.gif
Tom
//////
TM_Corey
Awesome, thank you Dave.

I learn something new about it every day.
PancakePorsche
A 1974 I bought in the late seventies had appearance group interior combined with black painted bumpers w/o fogs. Original owner however paid extra for silver metallic. 74 was indeed a "a la carte" model year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.