Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gasket needed?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worn
A comment from Eric Shea (btw - happy birthday) set me wondering about whether to use a gasket or just face to face sealer between the CV joint and the stub axle on a 944 CV joint. I did the lathe work and have the CV joint ready but then notice that there isn't a recess for the gasket machined on the CV face as it is on the 914 CVs. That means the clamping force is on the cardboard, not face to face, so that the torque for the bolts will lessen if the cardboard compresses over time. Of course I can also use blue locket.

Any experiences? Thanks folks. Took me a week of lounging before I would look at a wrench after the route 66 CLASSIC! Great folks out there still in their teens.
worn
QUOTE(worn @ May 14 2016, 10:32 AM) *

A comment from Eric Shea (btw - happy birthday) set me wondering about whether to use a gasket or just face to face sealer between the CV joint and the stub axle on a 944 CV joint. I did the lathe work and have the CV joint ready but then notice that there isn't a recess for the gasket machined on the CV face as it is on the 914 CVs. That means the clamping force is on the cardboard, not face to face, so that the torque for the bolts will lessen if the cardboard compresses over time. Of course I can also use blue locket.

Any experiences? Thanks folks. Took me a week of lounging before I would look at a wrench after the route 66 CLASSIC! Great folks out there still in their teens.

Anyone? Want to install soon.
Mikey914
Stock 944's and 951's didn't have gaskets, so you should be of without.
914Sixer
It all depends on what hubs and stubs you are going to use. Go to the Classic Section and read up on everything you need to know about axles and 5 lug conversions.
worn
QUOTE(914Sixer @ May 18 2016, 06:16 PM) *

It all depends on what hubs and stubs you are going to use. Go to the Classic Section and read up on everything you need to know about axles and 5 lug conversions.

That is why I have the 944 CVs. But thanks anyway. I do not recall that particular issue raised with the 944 CVs. But now that I think about it perhaps it was with 951 CVs. Think I know what to do. Thanks folks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.