Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No Crank Issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orbit398
Not sure what to check an looking for pointers.

Ran fine this morning in garage, every thing worked. I had the fuse panel unmounted as I finished installing the DPD under dash blower and tied into a wire position that comes on once the key is on.

Put it all back together and now it doesn't crank. Weird. Battery has a charge.

Just wondering what the culprit might be.
falcor75
I had that issue recently, was the small wire that had come loose from the starter.
orbit398
Update
I have a loose connection somewhere. Messed around with the fuse panel relays and then, the little click noise I hear when I turn the key on was heard again. Engine started right up. What is that thing that clicks when the key is turned on as it seems to work and not work as it wants. So I figure I'll change that out and clean more connections

thanks

ndfrigi
Click or continues sound for a seconds? it can be the fuel
pump.
worn
QUOTE(orbit398 @ May 14 2016, 11:39 AM) *

Ran fine this morning in garage, every thing worked. I had the fuse panel unmounted as I finished installing the DPD under dash blower and tied into a wire position that comes on once the key is on.

Did the engine warm up? It would seem that Otto, or whomever at Bosch, signed off on the solenoid design sheet without testing them hot. In some cases the solenoid will draw juice but freeze and not move. You don't even get a click. Ask me how I know 1,000 miles from home.
worn
QUOTE(orbit398 @ May 15 2016, 07:12 AM) *

Update
I have a loose connection somewhere. Messed around with the fuse panel relays and then, the little click noise I hear when I turn the key on was heard again. Engine started right up. What is that thing that clicks when the key is turned on as it seems to work and not work as it wants. So I figure I'll change that out and clean more connections

thanks

Probably the fuel pump. If you push on the gas pedal you will also hear fuel injectors - if it is quiet around you.
Spoke
QUOTE(orbit398 @ May 14 2016, 03:39 PM) *

Chances are something you touched is making an intermittent connection.

Check all the wires you touched. Keep in mind that spade connectors on the fuse panel actually touch a very tiny bit of the spade and oxidation can wreak havoc on dependable operation. Clean any spades you touched.

Also clean the fuse connections. They can oxidize very easily and if bumped, can cause intermittent contact.
orbit398
It's not the fuel pump. I have a kill switch for that and it's way in the back by the motor. I know when it runs or doesn't. I also have carbs on my 2.0 liter.

I'll just rework all the spade connectors to the fuse panel as well as mess with the relays. I am sure it just a crappy connection somewhere.....

Least is started back up and ran fine. So, its just one more thing to deal with....
Geezer914
Spend a $100 and get a new fuse panel from J West. You'll be glad you did. I got tired of messing with those old torpedo fuses.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.