Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pick the location
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VegasRacer
Two options have been presented for next years Route 66 Classic. Your vote will help choose the location.
These are only basic formats. All details are subject to change and open for suggestions.

Option 1 - Start in Scottsdale on Thursday. Hosted party at the Michael Wills estate. Friday drive to Kingman. Saturday drive to Oatman. Saturday Banquet in Laughlin.

Option 2 - Start in Idyllwild on Thursday. Friday drive to Mount Palomar. Friday night back in Idyllwild. Saturday drive to the beach, possibly Oceanside or ?
r_towle
Warm, guaranteed, I will make it in my 914
Did I mention warm....you can skip flagstaff or any high plains shit.

Um, good scenery, plenty of places to stop, no desert driving.
Cool Rt66 stuff to see....that would be key.

Just my opinion.

Rich
Elliot Cannon
Option 1. Or anywhere it will be warm. Hot even. At least no freakin' snow. smoke.gif
Coondog
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 14 2016, 09:48 PM) *

Just my opinion.

Rich

WTF.gif No high plains shit and No desert driving........Idyllwild = High plains shit, Arizona = Desert driving
SLITS
QUOTE(Coondog @ May 15 2016, 07:52 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 14 2016, 09:48 PM) *

Just my opinion.

Rich

WTF.gif No high plains shit and No desert driving........Idyllwild = High plains shit, Arizona = Desert driving

If you haven't driven the Oatman, AZ road from Kingman, AZ to Laughlin, NV you have missed some real excitement (especially if you have the loud pedal to the floor) driving.gif .

The flies in Oatman will get you though! icon8.gif
Coondog
Just my two cents.....

Thursday San Luis Obispo. Best farmers market every Thursday night

Friday Early morning breakfest at Avila beach. Drive up Hwy 1 to Morro Bay Stop at the rock for group picture if not foggy. Continue to Hwy 46 cross over to the 101 heading back south to hwy 227. Stop in old town Arroyo Grande. Continue on the 227 to Hwy 1 till the 246, stop in Buliton then take the 154 into Santa Ynez for the night

Sat. 154 into Santa Barbara then on to 101 to Hwy 1 "PCH " via Ventura stop at pier continue on through Port Hueneme Stop In Malibu for lunch. Tour stops at end of Route 66 at Santa Monica Pier.

Maybe get Pelican to sponsor our Saturday night banquet.

76-914
I'm good with where ever you have it, John. I can appreciate the rotation between these two areas, though. If it is SoCal, was one of your "coastal choices "The Santa Monica Pier"? We'll probably never get a group pic at the beginning of Rt66 but we can have certainly have one at the end of it. beerchug.gif
Steve
Excuse my ignorance, but what does so cal have to do with Route 66? I am only familiar with the song that ends in San Bernardino.
Cracker
I would really like to make an attempt to attend and meet some of you folks on the Wrong side of the country but its do damn far. Is there any chance a "central location" could be picked one of these years so its possible? Everything seems to be at extreme - West/East.

T
Coondog
QUOTE(Steve @ May 15 2016, 09:15 AM) *

Excuse my ignorance, but what does so cal have to do with Route 66? I am only familiar with the song that ends in San Bernardino.

Starts or Ends at Santa Monica Pier.
worn
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 14 2016, 08:48 PM) *

Just my opinion.

Rich

You would have been thrilled by this year's event. Snow each and every day. Rain water splashing up under my hood, knew it was doing my motor some good. Maybellene...

On the other hand Scottsdale is part of an enormous metropolis with lots of city driving. A problem we did not have in the cold. Lots to see nearby though. I voted not if you paid me cause it will take me more than a year to recover laugh.gif
worn
QUOTE(Cracker @ May 15 2016, 08:20 AM) *

I would really like to make an attempt to attend and meet some of you folks on the Wrong side of the country but its do damn far. Is there any chance a "central location" could be picked one of these years so its possible? Everything seems to be at extreme - West/East.

T

There is driving along the Mississippi and on into Texas on Route 66. The other end is in Chicago. However the founders and core participants do not live in Illinois! Its really their show to decide I think. Wonderful bunch too if you can tolerate that old fart who flies.
MoveQik
QUOTE(Steve @ May 15 2016, 09:15 AM) *

Route 66 is just the name of the event. Of course it started out based on Route 66 being involved but when you do it year in and year out, there are only so many options out west. So....we don't always hit the actual Route 66. :-) But we are there in spirit!
MoveQik
QUOTE(worn @ May 15 2016, 09:28 AM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ May 15 2016, 08:20 AM) *

T

There is driving along the Mississippi and on into Texas on Route 66. The other end is in Chicago. However the founders and core participants do not live in Illinois! Its really their show to decide I think. Wonderful bunch too if you can tolerate that old fart who flies.

Exactly. The people that step up to organize an event have the benefit of picking the location. So...if you want one near you, make it happen! If at all possible, I will be there!
r_towle
Let's see

WCR, west coast
Red rock, middle
Rt 66, lost in the desert
Occasional BBQ in Maryland area
Hershey PA
Florida, when panties are not twisted

What her ones am I forgetting?
r_towle
John,
I think you should have the event wherever it easiest for all your lovely lady friends to come out and see the wonderful 914 owners.
DullWitch
Juat to throw a wrench in the works...
Is the area around Bryce/Kanab too far (cold?) for folk to go?

Stunning scenery, Kanab is cool with a fair few hotels.
Chris914n6
Kinda depends on where WCR is. I think it's due for Socal.

But then it would be fitting to visit the Hellhole Canyon Preserve. lol-2.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(DullWitch @ May 15 2016, 11:09 PM) *

Juat to throw a wrench in the works...
Is the area around Bryce/Kanab too far (cold?) for folk to go?

Stunning scenery, Kanab is cool with a fair few hotels.

We just did that last year for Red Rocks Classic :-)
mgp4591
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 15 2016, 11:00 PM) *

Let's see

WCR, west coast
Red rock, middle
Hershey PA

I think there's one in Octeener... uh, Septeener... or something like that. Those "mountains" on the other side... with all that green stuff on 'em. And the twisty roads. And the moonshine. And the funny accents. biggrin.gif
Cracker
FYI: I'm from So-Cal...however, I am looking forward to meeting the "kind" folks at Okteenerfest.

Tony

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ May 16 2016, 09:33 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 15 2016, 11:00 PM) *

Let's see

WCR, west coast
Red rock, middle
Hershey PA

I think there's one in Octeener... uh, Septeener... or something like that. Those "mountains" on the other side... with all that green stuff on 'em. And the twisty roads. And the moonshine. And the funny accents. biggrin.gif
Elliot Cannon
This is how SLITS remembers it. http://www.theroadwanderer.net/route66.htm
BigFour1973
How about a pch run? now I know this isn't rt 66, but its only 65 numbers away.

What's better then 60-80 degree weather with the ocean breeze and the targa off. From the sounds of it, snow isn't.
michael7810
QUOTE(BigFour1973 @ May 16 2016, 12:03 PM) *

How about a pch run? now I know this isn't rt 66, but its only 65 numbers away.

What's better then 60-80 degree weather with the ocean breeze and the targa off. From the sounds of it, snow isn't.

Now you're talking.
76-914
PCH is nice if your north of Santa Barbara otherwise it's the LA shuffle. San Simeon area is light in traffic but we did that for the last WCR.
snakemain
I missed this one because I live in Illinois and it just didn't work. I'll be moving to Albuquerque next month for the next few years, so dang it I wanna go!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.