Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AA Performance Products
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DaveO90s4
I see the above supplier has all sorts of 'goodies' to build a more powerful type 4 engine. The exchange rate $A to $US, plus freight, makes anything ex US pretty expensive in Aus. So even more important to not make an error.

I don't want to start any flaming, but would welcome views about their product quality. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not reply via this forum.

Many thanks

Dave
Brisbane
Aus
Valy
There are 2 different AA: one makes/imports engine components (pistons, cylinders, cranks). The other one is in Atlanta and opinions are split on them.

I guess you're asking about the first. They have decent quality products. I've used their pistons and cylinders set.

You will probably want a new camshaft as well when you rebuild the engine. Your old one may look OK but I bet is not. Look for a small recession in the middle of the lobes. Try webcams for cams.

Good luck with the build!
worn
QUOTE(Valy @ May 15 2016, 08:04 AM) *

There are 2 different AA: one makes/imports engine components (pistons, cylinders, cranks). The other one is in Atlanta and opinions are split on them.

I guess you're asking about the first. They have decent quality products. I've used their pistons and cylinders set.

You will probably want a new camshaft as well when you rebuild the engine. Your old one may look OK but I bet is not. Look for a small recession in the middle of the lobes. Try webcams for cams.

Good luck with the build!

agree.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(DaveO90s4 @ May 15 2016, 10:28 PM) *

I see the above supplier has all sorts of 'goodies' to build a more powerful type 4 engine. The exchange rate $A to $US, plus freight, makes anything ex US pretty expensive in Aus. So even more important to not make an error.

I don't want to start any flaming, but would welcome views about their product quality. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not reply via this forum.

Many thanks

Dave
Brisbane
Aus

You can't tell me anything about freight charges....been there and had that sad.gif .
I would questimate you would pay atleast $200AD to get a barrel and piston set to Aussie.
However you could buy your bearing,gasket set ,etc in the US and look around for someone selling a piston kit in Australia.
Your other option may be to find a freight forward company or share space in a container with someone importing a car for instance....slow but cheap.
Have you looked at kokoparts on ebay? they retail AA stuff.
Good luck.
Dave_Darling
I have heard that quality on the AA P&Cs is hit or miss. People usually take time to measure all of the parts carefully, and some of them have had issues. AA has been good about sending new parts, but that's not as much help when you're paying shipping and import duties...

--DD
r_towle
Umm,

AA is an Asian company.
Take a look at alibaba and see if you can get it from the source, or at least not bothering to ship it here, then back again...

Rich
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 15 2016, 04:42 PM) *

I have heard that quality on the AA P&Cs is hit or miss. People usually take time to measure all of the parts carefully, and some of them have had issues. AA has been good about sending new parts, but that's not as much help when you're paying shipping and import duties...

--DD

My VW mechanic/engine builder friend will use everything from AA Performance except their piston rings. He always replaces those with Grant rings on new sets when he builds an engine with them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.