Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Rear Sway Link Bushings Will Not Go In!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drewvw
Hey all,

I am working to replace the rear link arm bushings and am having a really tough time with it.

Stock sway bar/links. Genuine porsche replacements. Tried boiling water, c-clamps, lube, channel locks. Feel like I am missing something here.

Thanks for the help

Drew
Garland
Inset both bushings into the drop links first. Then squeeze them on to the sway bar side, then onto the strut bolt. I used a little Gibbs (super penetrating oil) and the biggest pliers Harbor Freight sells To do that.
Each time:
Pinching the link with the bushing installed, onto the side of the ball, then rolling the pliers with the bushing and link, over the ball and towards the other side. It will pop on.
(Directly lined up, and squeezed never worked for me)
Boiling water will help when inserting them into the drop link. Still will have to work squeeze them in there.

Topic prior link

Installing rear links
SLITS
Grease, Socket and a vise to put them into the drop links (they will deform until pushed in).

LARGE channel locks to install drop links onto balls on the bar and shock bolts.

Make sure you get the orientation of the bushings correct or you will have to remove them and reinstall sad.gif .
drewvw

Thanks guys, this is helpful.

I did another search and found a suggestion to boil the links and the bushings for 15min. So trying that now. If that's a bad idea somebody speak up!

Will try this stuff too once I get it out of the pot...
drewvw

Realtime update:

I got them in. The combination of all the advice worked. Key was the warm links and not to be afraid to deform them to get them through the slot.

Thanks again!

worn
QUOTE(drewvw @ May 15 2016, 06:53 AM) *

Hey all,

I am working to replace the rear link arm bushings and am having a really tough time with it.

Stock sway bar/links. Genuine porsche replacements. Tried boiling water, c-clamps, lube, channel locks. Feel like I am missing something here.

Thanks for the help

Drew

I use the wooden carpenters clamps with the two screws. They are better able to conform to the load and don't slip off. Otherwise find a body builder. Good luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.