Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 1.8L distributor question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rob-O
Does anyone have a pic of the 1.8L (1974 if it matters) distributor in the engine bay? I am installing the stock distributor (getting rid of a 009!) and I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly how it sits. I bought a new condenser for it, but since the distributor didn't have a condenser on it when I bought it, I'm not exactly sure where it mounts. Most I've seen mount just below the hole where the condenser wire enters the distributor. But if I put the condenser there, and then the distributor on the engine, the distributor wants to hit the engine tin before fully seating. I can't seem to turn the distributor much so that the condenser isn't hitting the tin, because if I do, then the vacuum canister hits either the cold start valve or the arm that opens and closes the calling flaps.

The new condenser, while a Bosch unit, looks a little strange. The hole in the distributor is square. The rubber nub on the condenser is round. But in looking at the part number, it shows that it's made for a 1974 1.8L.

I've tried moving the condenser to another spot (screws on the canister, screws on the latches for the cap, mounting it upside down). Nothing seems to look correct. I'm kinda stumped!

Oh, the distributor is correct. It's a 0-231-181-009 <---that's a Bosch part number, not the Porsche part number.
ndfrigi
not mine and i think this is 1.7 because of that 3 prong plug. I did use this image when i'm fixing my 75 1.8 Ljet. The condenser is screwed along with the vacuum part.

Click to view attachment
Rob-O
Hmmm...I like where the condenser is located in relation to the tin, and also like that it's attached to the vacuum canister screw. But I'm pretty sure that if I had the vacuum canister in that position it would hit the cold start valve on the 1.8L

I see trigger points, so I think you're correct about the 1.7L/2.0L.
orthobiz
IPB Image
orthobiz
IPB Image
orthobiz
IPB Image
orthobiz
IPB Image
orthobiz
Pics from my 1974 1.8. Hope these help!

Paul
Rob-O
QUOTE(orthobiz @ May 15 2016, 04:37 PM) *

Paul

Perfect! Thanks so much. Gonna go hit the garage and get the dizzy in. Should be in the Cadillac (Wellston, actually) area in August. If I can squirrel away some time I'll give you a shout.

Glad to hear that Brad got you squared away!
orthobiz
QUOTE(Rob-O @ May 15 2016, 09:08 PM) *

QUOTE(orthobiz @ May 15 2016, 04:37 PM) *

Paul

Perfect! Thanks so much. Gonna go hit the garage and get the dizzy in. Should be in the Cadillac (Wellston, actually) area in August. If I can squirrel away some time I'll give you a shout.

Glad to hear that Brad got you squared away!

Better call me! I'll have two cars for us to drive...

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.