Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hockey Puck
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
era vulgaris
Just got the leather and trim ring in the mail today. Got the base from 914rubber a couple months back. Not the most necessary money spent on my car, but a definite improvement in looks over the butterfly horn button, no?
biggrin.gif
mepstein
I never liked the conventional horn pad. Thrilled to death when I learned there was an option. Worth it at any cost. It transforms the look of the steering wheel. smilie_pokal.gif

Now you need a proper thick grip wheel
porschetub
[quote name='mepstein' date='May 17 2016, 11:14 AM' post='2345579']
I never liked the conventional horn pad. Thrilled to death when I learned there was an option. Worth it at any cost. It transforms the look of the steering wheel. smilie_pokal.gif

agree.gif not to mention a huge different in weight,while building my car I'am getting rid of any surplus weight.

Cairo94507
I see one of the hockey pucks in my car's future.

But my Six just celebrated its 4 year anniversary at Scotty's shop, so I am focused on getting it finished so I can get it back while I can still see and drive. slits.gif

mobymutt
What?? That's the OEM steering wheel with some kind of different horn? What do I need to do that?
era vulgaris
QUOTE(mobymutt @ May 16 2016, 07:41 PM) *

What?? That's the OEM steering wheel with some kind of different horn? What do I need to do that?

Start here:
http://shop.914rubber.com/searchquick-subm...keywords=hockey

Then here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-Porsche-911-...O0v&vxp=mtr

And finally here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-Porsche-911-...Mlc&vxp=mtr

The trim ring is the one that really hurts. I don't know why a tiny little piece of stainless is $144, but I couldn't find it for less anywhere else.

You can use the metal bits and rubber plunger thingy on the back of your stock horn button. It'll screw right onto 914rubber's base.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 16 2016, 07:14 PM) *

Now you need a proper thick grip wheel

I never liked the stock button either. But I had to convince myself that spending $250 on a horn button was a good idea. So I bought the base first for $40, and lived with it without the pad and trim ring for a couple months. There was no going back, so I finally dove in for the rest last week! biggrin.gif

What's a thick grip wheel?
mepstein
Just how it sounds. A thicker grip than stock. Similar to a modern steering wheel. Very comfortable and duplicates a 914-6GT/ 911RS wheel. Not the best pick but I get mine done at Dallas custom steering wheel. About $450.
Heeltoe914
Very nice job.. I've been thinking about doing my own thanks for posting a picture.. Your right it does wonders to the wheels appearance..
rhodyguy
The leather and the ring and that's it? Is the plastic center available?
era vulgaris
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 17 2016, 12:38 AM) *

The leather and the ring and that's it? Is the plastic center available?

Yup! See post #6 in this thread. I linked to all three items.
JmuRiz
Very nice, I have a metal reproduction base as well as the ring and leather pad...just need to send my wheel out for repair and a wrap. Not sure I want to fork over $450 to have it double wrapped though. I'll check the other options.

Hockey puck is my 2nd favorite horn, behind only the batwing. But have you priced those recently (especially the original ones) yikes!!! blink.gif
IPB Image
Larmo63
I did mine last year, I won't go back to the butterfly...

Click to view attachment
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ May 16 2016, 03:50 PM) *

QUOTE(mobymutt @ May 16 2016, 07:41 PM) *

Start here:
http://shop.914rubber.com/searchquick-subm...keywords=hockey

Then here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-Porsche-911-...O0v&vxp=mtr

And finally here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-Porsche-911-...Mlc&vxp=mtr

The trim ring is the one that really hurts. I don't know why a tiny little piece of stainless is $144, but I couldn't find it for less anywhere else.

You can use the metal bits and rubber plunger thingy on the back of your stock horn button. It'll screw right onto 914rubber's base.

Skip all these steps and just buy one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252284979711?_trks...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
era vulgaris
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ May 17 2016, 10:47 AM) *

Skip all these steps and just buy one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252284979711?_trks...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

After shipping, that'll cost you $60-$70 more. I spent a good bit of time searching listings to figure out how I could do it for the least $. I'll assemble it myself to save $60. YMMV.
two914-6s
Love the puck!
era vulgaris
QUOTE(two914-6s @ May 17 2016, 12:05 PM) *

Love the puck!

I like the wrap on your wheel. Is that stock or did you have that done?
two914-6s
my car came with no options, so in the 80's i had this brown one. I looked on the internet to find the same type. It drives better then without and i like the Dorky period look. But I really should upgrade to the one you have.

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ May 17 2016, 09:23 AM) *

QUOTE(two914-6s @ May 17 2016, 12:05 PM) *

Love the puck!

I like the wrap on your wheel. Is that stock or did you have that done?
era vulgaris
I remember when I was a kid a few people in my extended family had wheel wraps like that on either their Mercedes or VW's in the 80's in Austria. Takes me back to long road trips through Steiermark with my grandparents and cousins. I like it!
sixnotfour
Does your horn function ?? nobody ever mentions that small detail ??

The OG six guys its an easy addition .
two914-6s
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 17 2016, 10:05 AM) *

Does your horn function ?? nobody ever mentions that small detail ??

The OG six guys its an easy addition .

Yes the horn works. I actually change between the correct one and the puck. The puck doesn't work as well.I have to hit it hard. Could be my sh*t. I'm not as skilled as some here.
mepstein
It should be easy to make a horn function on a puck. It uses standard hardware from the horn pad.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 17 2016, 01:11 PM) *

It should be easy to make a horn function on a puck. It uses standard hardware from the horn pad.

agree.gif

I just swapped the metal bits and rubber plunger thingy over from the butterfly horn pad. They screwed right in to the back of the base. Horn works great with the puck! No different than with the butterfly.
sixnotfour
You need this part from the -4,for the wire to attach.. unless you have a 70 or a factory 914-6...

I didn't have any later -4 horn pads..did it like a -6
era vulgaris
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 17 2016, 03:27 PM) *

You need this part from the -4,for the wire to attach.. unless you have a 70 or a factory 914-6...

So you're saying that the hardware on the rear of the horn pad is different on a -6 than on a -4?
How does the hardware connect to the wire on a -6?
mepstein
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ May 17 2016, 04:40 PM) *

So you're saying that the hardware on the rear of the horn pad is different on a -6 than on a -4?

6's and early 4's 70-71 are the same. They use the short horn push instead of a wire.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 17 2016, 12:47 PM) *

QUOTE(era vulgaris @ May 17 2016, 04:40 PM) *

6's and early 4's 70-71 are the same. They use the short horn push instead of a wire.

Right, guess I should hoard a few of the later wings for that one part..damn 4 bangers
Red72
Nice! I'm doing something similar. I got the puck from 914Rubber, had a buddy turn the 'button' out of wood, and then laser engraved the logo. Just about finished a hack-job of recovering the rim (to be done again at a later date) and I'll hopefully have it back on the car this weekend.

Click to view attachment
Mike Fitton
No racer 914's had the butterfly too easy to catch a sleeve on it, most had the hockey puck or after market setup.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.