Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: r towle bus thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike Bellis
This is the only picture I have and its not even a picture. Just an old slide.

It is a 1963 double door panel bus with a 4" chop.
I installed a 13B rotary engine with a radiator located where the engine lid was. I used a Kennedy adapter and fabricated mounts. My first custom build.
The tranny and reduction boxes were replaced with a Type 3 tranny and custom axles.
A Bus Boys front end handled the lowering in the front.
It ran with 195/50/15 tires on 5 lug chromies.
It was so low I could see over the top of it while standing next to it.
The door windows were tinted plexyglass and the back window was blacked out with spray paint.

It was stupid fast but had stock drum brakes. Almost got me killed a couple of times. I blew the rotary one day and dropped a 1600 DP back it it then did something really stupid... I traded it for a Mazda RX7. I wish I know what happened to it... sad.gif

Click to view attachment
matthepcat
Sweet. Now that I have a rotary I believe it. These little motors are fire breathers. Not to rub it in, but that bus would be worth something today smile.gif
Gunn1
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ May 17 2016, 12:33 AM) *

This is the only picture I have and its not even a picture. Just an old slide.

It is a 1963 double door panel bus with a 4" chop.
I installed a 13B rotary engine with a radiator located where the engine lid was. I used a Kennedy adapter and fabricated mounts. My first custom build.
The tranny and reduction boxes were replaced with a Type 3 tranny and custom axles.
A Bus Boys front end handled the lowering in the front.
It ran with 195/50/15 tires on 5 lug chromies.
It was so low I could see over the top of it while standing next to it.
The door windows were tinted plexyglass and the back window was blacked out with spray paint.

It was stupid fast but had stock drum brakes. Almost got me killed a couple of times. I blew the rotary one day and dropped a 1600 DP back it it then did something really stupid... I traded it for a Mazda RX7. I wish I know what happened to it... sad.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
DBCooper
Mike, did you buy that engine/adapter from a guy in Houston? Twenty-five years ago a friend there put a streetported 13B/48 IDA into a 914, later pulled it and sold it to someone in California who intended to put it into a VW. There aren't THAT many people doing that, so could it have been you?

Mike Bellis
QUOTE(DBCooper @ May 17 2016, 04:09 AM) *

Mike, did you buy that engine/adapter from a guy in Houston? Twenty-five years ago a friend there put a streetported 13B/48 IDA into a 914, later pulled it and sold it to someone in California who intended to put it into a VW. There aren't THAT many people doing that, so could it have been you?

I bought the adapter direct from Kennedy. I don't remember where the engine came from. This would have been 1987.
EdwardBlume
That would be a Hot VW!
DBCooper
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ May 17 2016, 06:18 AM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ May 17 2016, 04:09 AM) *

I bought the adapter direct from Kennedy. I don't remember where the engine came from. This would have been 1987.

No then, this was late 90's. I just saw that and wondered, would have been cool if it turned out to be the same.

r_towle
Great look to it, hunt it down.
whitetwinturbo
"..................bus...............magic bus................."
smoke.gif smoke.gif smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.