Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering wheel travel...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cooper951
So, the steering wheel on my '74 is mobile...will move up about an inch and a half, but normally resides in the lower position. Much more comfortable me in the raised position, but don't know what I can do to achieve this. Anyone know if something is just not hooked up correctly? I don't remember my old '75 back in the day having an adjustable height steering wheel.
Cracker
What? Check the four bolts that hold the column to the chassis. Lay on your back and look up underneath the column and you'll see the four allen-head bolts - they sit within two slots. Sounds like these are loose or two are missing, allowing it to pivot.

Let us know what it ends up being please...curious.

Tony
r_towle
Sumpin busted
brant
not good
pretty sure your bearing is out
but that much movement, also sounds like the fasteners for the bearing retainer are loose

dangerous... check the retainer fasteners before you drive again
SirAndy
QUOTE(Reverend Troublemaker @ May 17 2016, 09:38 AM) *
Check the four bolts that hold the column to the chassis.

agree.gif
cooper951
Thanks all for the advice. It was, in fact, the four bolts holding the steering column up. Rather a b*tch getting to them, found it easier to remove the bottom of the dash. Much more comfortable now....and safer! sunglasses.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.