Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 liter Oil Temperature Sensor Wiring Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orbit398
Can anyone tell me where the wire from the temperature sensor connects too? I forgot and assume it needs to run to the temp guage inside the car. Also, is there a simple way to test the sensor itself?

thanks
era vulgaris
There's a green wire with a black stripe, that runs from the sensor across the engine, up into the engine bay on the passenger side where it meets up with the wiring loom, then runs through the center tunnel, and then to the temp gauge.

I believe you can test the sensor by dipping it in boiling water, with it hooked to the temp gauge and a 12VDC power supply. If the gauge registers 212F, then you're good.
JeffBowlsby
Depends on which year your chassis is.
bdstone914
The wire has two attaching brackets on the engine. One mounts to a stud on the oil filter housing bracket and the other on the oil cooler bracket. Then it connect to the harness wire.
Dave_Darling
For most years of 914, the temp sensor wire runs across the front of the engine, then up through the engine tin, and plugs into a single-wire box connector under the battery area.

--DD
pilothyer
Follow this link, then click on the link in post #3 for excellent details LINK TO OT SENSOR WIREING
orbit398
well, sometime ago, I actually hooked it up correctly. Today was my first drive since my restoration project. Sitting in the garage running, guess I never let it run long enough for the needle to move in the gauge. So, I drove it long enough today to actually see the temp gauge move some, so it's working.

I live in the south and wonder where the 'normal' position is for the needle in the gauge. I was driving close, under 50 mph and flowing traffic and the needle was just up into the white.

Being new to a running 914, I have no idea what is normal for the gauge. Pointers appreciated.
era vulgaris
How long were you driving, and at what rpm do you cruise at?
orbit398
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ May 17 2016, 07:28 PM) *

How long were you driving, and at what rpm do you cruise at?

Drove about 10 miles around my neighbor hood and got up to 50 mph at one point on a straight for a mile or so - still don't have the windshield in the car yet. Never had an air cooled engine car and guess I am used to engines coming up to temp quickly when they are water cooled.
era vulgaris
You're not going to be up to temp in 10 miles. Remember this is oil temp, not water temp. Oil takes longer. You really need about 20-30 minutes of driving to get fully warmed up.
Also, remember it's very important to drive an aircooled car at higher revs than a water cooled car. Once the oil starts showing a little temp you should be cruising in the 3k-4k rpm range, and upshifting above 4k rpm. Keep the revs a little lower when the engine is cold because your oil pressure will be higher with cold oil.
You'll eventually cook your heads if you're cruising along below 2500 rpm. I think that's why I've heard alot of anecdotal stories of cracked heads, dropped valve seats, etc...because people aren't running at high enough rpm to keep the heads and cylinders cool. Aside from cooking your heads, it'll take an eternity for your oil to get up to temp running at low rpms. So you'll end up overheating your heads before your oil even gets warm enough to boil off the condensation from the last time you drove.
orbit398
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ May 18 2016, 11:42 AM) *

You're not going to be up to temp in 10 miles. Remember this is oil temp, not water temp. Oil takes longer. You really need about 20-30 minutes of driving to get fully warmed up.
Also, remember it's very important to drive an aircooled car at higher revs than a water cooled car. Once the oil starts showing a little temp you should be cruising in the 3k-4k rpm range, and upshifting above 4k rpm. Keep the revs a little lower when the engine is cold because your oil pressure will be higher with cold oil.
You'll eventually cook your heads if you're cruising along below 2500 rpm. I think that's why I've heard alot of anecdotal stories of cracked heads, dropped valve seats, etc...because people aren't running at high enough rpm to keep the heads and cylinders cool. Aside from cooking your heads, it'll take an eternity for your oil to get up to temp running at low rpms. So you'll end up overheating your heads before your oil even gets warm enough to boil off the condensation from the last time you drove.

wow - thanks for the tips - never even thought of that...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.