Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So frustrated
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JPA914
So I just finished rebuilding my front calipers. First time for me, so a bit of trouble getting the pistons out. Got everything back together with new the seals and went to install them on the car. Started the brake line fitting into the hole in the caliper BY HAND. It went in just fine and I was able to turn it about three times before I needed the wrench.

I know what you're thinking at this point: must have over-tightened it. Well it never got very tight! Just a wee-bit snug, and then loose again as I turned the wrench further.

I don't know what to do at this point. Anybody know how I might save this caliper? Or should I just get another re-buildable core, go through all this again and hope it doesn't happen AGAIN?

catsltd
QUOTE(JPA914 @ May 17 2016, 07:51 PM) *

So I just finished rebuilding my front calipers. First time for me, so a bit of trouble getting the pistons out. Got everything back together with new the seals and went to install them on the car. Started the brake line fitting into the hole in the caliper BY HAND. It went in just fine and I was able to turn it about three times before I needed the wrench.

I know what you're thinking at this point: must have over-tightened it. Well it never got very tight! Just a wee-bit snug, and then loose again as I turned the wrench further.

I don't know what to do at this point. Anybody know how I might save this caliper? Or should I just get another re-buildable core, go through all this again and hope it doesn't happen AGAIN?

Just wanted to wish you luck,I am also struggling with my car.
These cars are Not for the week of heart.
Hope you figure it out,drinking beer seems to help.
DBCooper
QUOTE(JPA914 @ May 17 2016, 04:51 PM) *

It could have been overtightened before, which would explain the rough threads, and you just stumbled into the aftermath. Check your local import repair or machine shops, especially for German, and you can likely have that tapped that for a repair insert. Maybe best check first with Eric at PMB, he'd certainly have the best advice.

JPA914
QUOTE(catsltd @ May 17 2016, 07:32 PM) *

QUOTE(JPA914 @ May 17 2016, 07:51 PM) *

Just wanted to wish you luck,I am also struggling with my car.
These cars are Not for the week of heart.
Hope you figure it out,drinking beer seems to help.

Ha, thanks for the well wishes. And yes, this car may drive me to AA in the end!
JPA914
QUOTE(DBCooper @ May 17 2016, 08:24 PM) *

QUOTE(JPA914 @ May 17 2016, 04:51 PM) *

It could have been overtightened before, which would explain the rough threads, and you just stumbled into the aftermath. Check your local import repair or machine shops, especially for German, and you can likely have that tapped that for a repair insert. Maybe best check first with Eric at PMB, he'd certainly have the best advice.

I'll check into that, but I have a hunch it will cost quite a bit more than a good core, if any shop will even attempt it (brakes, liability, etc.)
r_towle
Someone here, might have been Stu or someone else actually salvaged a master cylinder using a helicoil.

Search here....then ask that user what method they used....

Rixh
JPA914
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 17 2016, 08:45 PM) *

Someone here, might have been Stu or someone else actually salvaged a master cylinder using a helicoil.

Rixh

If I saw the same thread you're referring to, it was one of the more acrimonious ones I've seen here ar15.gif

The majority of posters recommended against it. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I would feel a bit uneasy attempting that repair because it's intended for a through-hole.
r_towle
Front are available at foreign parts places still, I believe.
JPA914
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 17 2016, 09:36 PM) *

Front are available at foreign parts places still, I believe.

I've had difficulty sourcing any, which is why I chose to rebuild mine. I guess it's looking like I'll have to put an add in the classifieds for another RF caliper (LF went in fine)...and keep my fingers crossed it doesn't happen again unsure.gif
Eric_Shea
Front? Rear? Left? Right?
JPA914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 17 2016, 09:45 PM) *

Front? Rear? Left? Right?

It's the front right one. How common is this in your experience? I'm hoping it was just a fluke, as I really didn't tighten it much at all before it gave way.
stugray
Early or late front caliper?
I have a couple of cores and even a oddball half of a core.
JPA914
QUOTE(stugray @ May 17 2016, 11:56 PM) *

Early or late front caliper?
I have a couple of cores and even a oddball half of a core.

Mine is a late one. The worst part here is this actually isn't the worst thing that happened to me while working on the car today. Also found out the MPS is toast sad.gif
Oh well, at least my car looks nice. It's just details like starting, stopping, and running that I'm coming up short on biggrin.gif
mark04usa
I can sure understand. My MPS is toasty as well. Got a diaphram kit from Tangerine so I'll have it fixed as soon as I can afford the install kit. You'll get past the setbacks, and more to come. Our old cars are well worth the effort and can be very dependable once sorted out. Press On piratenanner.gif
JPA914
Thanks for the encouragement. Sometimes it feels like I'm going into battle with this car...and we're not fighting on the same side!

stugray, PM me with the details. Thanks!
Eric_Shea
I can send you a right back 1/2. Shoot me your address.
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 17 2016, 06:45 PM) *

Rixh

I don't remember seeing a follow up post from Stu if his efforts to save the M/C was successful or not. If I recall, 99% of the recommendations was to simply buy a new M/C.
stugray
QUOTE(396 @ May 19 2016, 08:43 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 17 2016, 06:45 PM) *

Rixh

I don't remember seeing a follow up post from Stu if his efforts to save the M/C was successful or not. If I recall, 99% of the recommendations was to simply buy a new M/C.

Sorry, the MC repair was not mine, but I recall commenting on that thread.

I forgot to look to see what good half of a caliper I have.
But as I recall I was working on the rear of my car when I found one caliper bore split on half of a spare caliper, so those had to have been EARLY FRONT calipers to fit on the rear of my car.

DBCooper
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 19 2016, 07:16 AM) *

Know what? That's not a vendor, that's a friend, a good friend. And someone once complained about Eric's service? Seriously?

JPA914
QUOTE(DBCooper @ May 19 2016, 01:28 PM) *

Know what? That's not a vendor, that's a friend, a good friend. And someone once complained about Eric's service? Seriously?

Agreed. I just sent Eric a PM. So nice to have so many helpful folks here who love these cars!
LowBridge
QUOTE(JPA914 @ May 19 2016, 03:02 PM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ May 19 2016, 01:28 PM) *

Agreed. I just sent Eric a PM. So nice to have so many helpful folks here who love these cars!

This is what I have come to expect from PMB... beerchug.gif
JPA914
I just wanted to give an update for this thread.

Eric at PMB not only sent me a caliper half for free, he even covered the shipping himself. When I mentioned I needed a couple of other small items, I said I'd be happy to pay for those. Nope, Eric included those as well, free of charge. And I haven't even been a PMB customer previous to this.

At this point, all I can say is...WOW!! Thank you so much Eric!
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(JPA914 @ May 24 2016, 01:06 PM) *

I just wanted to give an update for this thread.

Eric at PMB not only sent me a caliper half for free, he even covered the shipping himself. When I mentioned I needed a couple of other small items, I said I'd be happy to pay for those. Nope, Eric included those as well, free of charge. And I haven't even been a PMB customer previous to this.

At this point, all I can say is...WOW!! Thank you so much Eric!

See that's what happens when Eric went from cool to Sarahs Dad. Eric is good people.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.